From the start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was thinking this morning on my way into work what got me into Bikes/cycling. For me it was when I was a kid round 14 and I found a bike on some waste land near my dads house. I got it home asked my dad if I could keep it? he phoned the cops to tell them that we had this bike and was told to not use it for 30days then it would be mine. 30days had gone so I spent all my pocket money doing it up. I had it for 2 years or so then it got nicked so out I went to my LBS to see what they had.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Always had bikes of some sort since before i can remember, but it was the coverage of the tour that got me 'into' cycling and made me want a racer. So thanks Greg LeMond and Big Mig, you did it for me!

domtyler

Über Member
My first road bike was a Raleigh Criterium Triathlon, dark metallic blue with white bar tape, Reynolds 531 tubing, absolutely lovely. I ordered it out of the Littlewoods catalogue on pay over nine months deal without my mums permission and planned on paying for it with my pocket money. I think I managed to pay almost one whole payment and then my nan paid for it for me as I was spoilt rotten! :biggrin:

Ended up selling it a year or so later to buy my first 50cc motorbike. :rolleyes:

Keith Oates

Janner
I've been biking, little or much, since I was 5 years old but when I went to Hong Kong I became friendly with some guys who were keen on biking so I bought a bike and joined in. Now it's got me well and truly hooked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Went away in the caravan and took my BMX Rode around on that and decided to get a new bike that was better. Wanted a mountain bike, but then got the idea of a folder to take i the caravan because it would be easier. Got a cheap Sea Sure folder and went out on it every day. Got into it then when that started to break got a road bike. That when i really got hooked.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Always had bikes, was riding without stabilisers etc at about 3-ish, spent all summer holidays on/near/with bikes... but got realy hooked on actually cycling places when I did paper round out into countryside...aged 13. Cycled all through 20s and early 30s (apart from 2 yrs living abroad) then forgot about it (!!) for a decade (!!) then took it up again. :biggrin:

domtyler

Über Member
Fnaar said:
Always had bikes, was riding without stabilisers etc at about 3-ish, spent all summer holidays on/near/with bikes... but got realy hooked on actually cycling places when I did paper round out into countryside...aged 13. Cycled all through 20s and early 30s (apart from 2 yrs living abroad) then forgot about it (!!) for a decade (!!) then took it up again. :angry:

??? Eh, your Dad told me that you were seven or eight before he could take your stabilisers off! :biggrin:

domtyler

Über Member
Fnaar said:
Eh??? When did you last see my father? :angry:

Ah, so it's true then! :biggrin:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
no, you see, I come from alien spawn.. i wafted here through aeons of millenia, across galaxies and parallel universes, so I have no earthly father as you call them.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I got my first bike with stabilisers when I was about 6. By 8 I was cycling around the local streets playing with friends and my brother. By 10 I was taking bikes apart to find out how they worked and then building and repairing bikes for my friends. I built up my first wheel then, a 20" rim on a 3 speed hub. By 12 I was building custom semi recumbent bikes from my own designs. This I kept on with, using old bike parts until I learnt to drive at 18.

Trikes and bikes as a toddler/yoof; then as a means of transport for a few years. Then, after splitting up wiv the misses, stayed with a mate in Spain for four months, cycling in and around Andalucia.

Couldn't imagine not being able to cycle now; the best feeling of independence and freedom I can think of. And great fun.

Top Bottom