Front Brake failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

history_oldshopfront.jpg

Good ole' Halford's shop in Brum.

First opened in 1892 to sell Starley's Rover Safety thingy, and others from Coventry and Birmingham.

Don't think there were many motorcarriages around then.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Tightening brake blocks is not rocket science, and you really should have checked them. double check anything to do with braking and transmission.

I learnt that lesson the hard way. Trusted a shop to fit new brake blocks and tighten the front deraileur cable as part of a 6 week new bike service. The mechanic must have been busy as I discovered the brake blocks were on the wrong way around when I got home, the quick release mechanism was damaged and the front deraileur cable fouled.

I'll give a bike a good check before I leave shop next time.

Abs

marcw

The mechanic must have been busy as I discovered the brake blocks were on the wrong way around when I got home, the quick release mechanism was damaged and the front deraileur cable fouled.

Ouch, particularly annoying as it's around a 10 minute job tops. I built my Bianchi up from components, hadn't owned a bike for around 10 years at the time. Learned everything from Youtube and going to Evans to look at prebuit bikes. The only hard bit was working out what size components to buy as standardisation is a concept that has passed the bike industry by. Shimano components come with pretty good instructions.

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
have just realized im a sado lol. b4 i get on i check trye pressuer and whell tighness by means of a bounch, then check breaks and headstock play and saddle tightness b4 i set of, most is just a question of dose this feel normal, all this takes 30 seconds, as i push the bike to the gate. so im amazed that things fall of other peoples bikes,(giggle)

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
hehe I saw one a month or so ago who maybe hadn't checked their saddle was secure. As I approached them they went over a pothole landed heavily on the seat which promptly disappeared into the seat post. I did stop and offer to help but hell I was struggling hard not laugh!

Davidc

Guru
I learnt by doing - from age 7 onwards, helped at various stages by bike shop owners and mechanics. If Fluffy can find a course, and then use that with the Sheldon Brown and Bicycle Tutor web sites there should be no problem.

Components and frames are now so well toleranced, and the various mechanisms and adjustments so simplified, compared to the past, that anyone with reasonable practical abilities should be able to do perfect and completely safe maintenance on their bike.

That said one of my bikes came with lifetime servicing, so the LBS it came from service it, and they're almost as good at it as me.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
My bike had its 6 week service at Halfords last month.

My front brakes failed on my way home when one of the brake blocks came loose. Well done to the mildly disinterested employee who had my bike for 12 hours :angry:
It happened after I had been in Halfords to try out a Boardman road bike I was after. I will not be trusting that branch again, although I will have to get my C2W bike from a Halfords somewhere.

I really want to start maintaining my bikes myself so I'm going to look for an evening course at the local college or something.

I think you mean uninterested. Disinterested is a cool impartial evaluation of the facts.

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
I learnt by doing - from age 7 onwards, helped at various stages by bike shop owners and mechanics. If Fluffy can find a course, and then use that with the Sheldon Brown and Bicycle Tutor web sites there should be no problem.

Components and frames are now so well toleranced, and the various mechanisms and adjustments so simplified, compared to the past, that anyone with reasonable practical abilities should be able to do perfect and completely safe maintenance on their bike.

That said one of my bikes came with lifetime servicing, so the LBS it came from service it, and they're almost as good at it as me.

I only quoted the links for the OP, I've known how to service my bike since I was 10, I am now at the ripe old age of 30 :tongue:

Top Bottom