Front brake lever not fully retracting

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 20519

I've been fiddling about with my brakes all morning trying to fix this.

The brake cable is fine.
The brake lever is fine without the cable attached
The brake arms are springy and there's no problems there

I don't see what the issue is. The brake lever springs back but if you gently pull it and then let go, it doesn't go all the way in, it stops about a centimetre short.

compo

Veteran
What did you do that caused the problem or caused you to notice the problem. If you have plenty of spring pressure on the lever and the brake arms then logically the problem must be the cable. Have you pulled the inner through properly. If not that will leave the outer slack with the problem you describe. My money would be on a cable fault, either stiff or maladjusted.

PS, on an edit: Something I have done in the past is to tighten the cable and tighten the securing nut on the brake arm without noticing that the cable outer has caught on a cable guide somewhere along it's route. Once it releases it causes the exact problem you describe.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
What did you do that caused the problem or caused you to notice the problem. If you have plenty of spring pressure on the lever and the brake arms then logically the problem must be the cable. Have you pulled the inner through properly. If not that will leave the outer slack with the problem you describe. My money would be on a cable fault, either stiff or maladjusted.

PS, on an edit: Something I have done in the past is to tighten the cable and tighten the securing nut on the brake arm without noticing that the cable outer has caught on a cable guide somewhere along it's route. Once it releases it causes the exact problem you describe.
+1 what he added, done it myself:whistle:

The little spring(s) within the brake is expected to not only pull itself back after use but also drag the cable and the brake lever back to their resting position. The simple physics of the matter is that the spring in your brake doesn't have enough oomph to overcome the combined resistance of drag/load in the system. Check for burrs in the cable or casing, check for kinks in the inner cable or outer casing, check for gunk build up in the cable. Check that all the pivots are free - lube them if not - and lightly lube the barrel end of the cable where it rests in the brake lever handle. Check the brake lead pipe (noodle) and rubber boot if fitted.

compo

Veteran
Your bike is scrap now with dodgy brakes.

I'll do you a favour. Give me £15 and I will take it away for you. :laugh:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Remove the brake arms and refit them with the springs in the third hole, giving them more tension.

sidevalve

Über Member
Your bike is scrap now with dodgy brakes.

I'll do you a favour. Give me £15 and I will take it away for you. :laugh:
I'll do it for a tenner !!! However first try pulling the brake arms apart manually, if the lever returns it's a sticky brake if not it's the cable.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

Thanks for the help guys, got it all working now. I adjusted the spring in the brake lever and I purchased a new brake cable. Perfect :thumbsup:

Top Bottom