Front brake use on bumpy pavement?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Phil25

Front brakes are demanding to use on my bumpy local pavement; worse still where there is a veneer of sand. The front wheel can lock if it happens to bounce at the same time as I brake, and thin sand can make the front wheel skid. I pay attention to the feel of the ride and then the front brakes are not a problem for me.
My question is about riding downhill on such surfaces. I go between five and ten miles an hour, and stay seated in
the saddle. I use only my rear brakes. In addition I stay off the front brakes handle, using that hand to hold only the handlebar.
Is that safe? I have no trouble stopping with the rear brakes, and the front brakes are a hazard. Comments?

classic33

Leg End Member
Why cycle on the pavement?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would suggest that rear braking is probably safer than front braking assuming you have time to stop. However, front braking is hugely more efficient. If you want to stop quickly then use a lot of front.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
On loose or slippery surfaces you need to use the rear as a drag brake to steady your speed. As Milkfloat says they have very limited stopping power but they will contain your speed and if the wheel locks it is controllable, where as a locked front will have you on the deck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Phil25

If I skid the front wheel at slow speeds it's easier to control the skid, but rather than bother with the front brakes while picking my way slowly downhill I'll operate only my rear brakes and stay off the front brakes entirely. That said, I do occasionally use both sets of brakes too. At speeds less than 10 mph, a skid on the front wheel is no worry. Does that sound sensible?

Top Bottom