front chain adjustment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amac

Hi guys,
Sorry if this is a daft question, but here goes.
My left side of the chain is very slightly rubbing on chain guide if that is the correct terminology.
This is my first road bike, I have had a hybrid before, where you could turn the plastic bit of the outer cable to adjust it.
I can see any adjustment at the chain ring end or by the shifters on the brake levers.
The only thing I can see is the small allen key screw but when turning that, it does not feel like an adjustment, it was loose and then it tightened.

Its a Giant Contend AR1, and yes I know its very dirty, just got back in form a ride this morning :smile: :smile:
Thanks for any tips or advice.
Alex

Attachments

• IMG_20220306_132221.jpg
    IMG_20220306_132221.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 12

Ajax Bay

Guru
Road bike FD cables don't have an adjuster built in.
If you have the limit screws set correctly, the only way to adjust is by un- and reclamping the cable.
I would start by unscrewing the lower limit screw half a turn.
Given the FD is a 'braze on' (it's not but ykwim) you might be able to ease the tension a tad by slipping it down (with large ring clearance caveat).

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Amac

Thanks. are the limit screws at the back on the rear derailleur?
Thanks for getting back to me.

iluvmybike

Über Member
I would fit an inline cable adjuster and that saves have to undo the cable at the derailleur clamp where it might get a bit frayed

Reactions: C R

figbat

Slippery scientist
Another thought from me is whether the shifter had a ‘trim’ function. My 4600 Tiagra shifters have the ability to make a small adjustment at the front through using the shift levers. So, for example, if I shift to the big ring (using the small shift lever), the front mech swings all the way out. However, the chain can rub on the derailleur when I’m towards the inner cogs on the cassette - if I give the big shift lever (brake lever) a small touch I get a light click which trims the FD inwards a bit (but still on the same ring). Same applies to both front ring positions.

C R

Guru
Another thought from me is whether the shifter had a ‘trim’ function. My 4600 Tiagra shifters have the ability to make a small adjustment at the front through using the shift levers. So, for example, if I shift to the big ring (using the small shift lever), the front mech swings all the way out. However, the chain can rub on the derailleur when I’m towards the inner cogs on the cassette - if I give the big shift lever (brake lever) a small touch I get a light click which trims the FD inwards a bit (but still on the same ring). Same applies to both front ring positions.
Isn't it you shift to the big ring all the way with the big lever and then trim down with the small lever?

C R

Guru
Yes, you're right - the principle stands but the details are backwards!
That's right. There's also trim on the small ring. After shifting down if you click the small lever again, the cage moves a bit further towards the frame. I think this type of trimming works with all recent sti levers from Sora upwards.

Ajax Bay

Guru
OP: "My left side of the chain is very slightly rubbing on chain guide"
Another thought from me is whether the shifter had a ‘trim’ function.
Assuming that the left side of the chain is rubbing on the cage inner plate (assumed in small/large) I don't think any trim is going to help. This is either a limit screw issue or a 'too much' tension issue.
Edit: Alex has implicitly pointed out that this is a large/large issue (see image in the OP) so my assumption above is wrong, and so is the diagnosis/solution.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
OP: "My left side of the chain is very slightly rubbing on chain guide"

Assuming that the left side of the chain is rubbing on the cage inner plate (assumed in small/large) I don't think any trim is going to help. This is either a limit screw issue or a 'too much' tension issue.
If the left side of the chain is rubbing on the FD cage inner plate, and you are on the large ring together with large sprockets, that is exactly what the trim function is designed to avoid.

Ajax Bay

Guru
If the left side of the chain is rubbing on the FD cage inner plate, and you are on the large ring together with large sprockets, that is exactly what the trim function is designed to avoid.
You're quite right, Alex. I did not register that the OP 's image shows the chain on the large chainring and assumed as stated in my last post but wrong) they were complaining that they got rubbing when in their lowest gear.
I suggest the OP shifts down at the front. Chainset = 50/34. Cassette = 11sp 11-34. Large/large cross chaining will rub.
No cable adjustment required.

Twilkes

Guru
Hi guys,
Sorry if this is a daft question, but here goes.
My left side of the chain is very slightly rubbing on chain guide if that is the correct terminology.
This is my first road bike, I have had a hybrid before, where you could turn the plastic bit of the outer cable to adjust it.
I can see any adjustment at the chain ring end or by the shifters on the brake levers.
The only thing I can see is the small allen key screw but when turning that, it does not feel like an adjustment, it was loose and then it tightened.

Its a Giant Contend AR1, and yes I know its very dirty, just got back in form a ride this morning :smile: :smile:
Thanks for any tips or advice.
Alex
Are you sure there isn't a barrel adjuster/inline adjuster along the cable somewhere? It'll be like a plastic tube somewhere along the cable, or some kind of plastic or metal screw-in bolt where the cable is attached to the frame, possibly under the top of the down tube. I would hate to have to align a front derailleur by continually reclamping the cable!

Last edited:
Top Bottom