Front derailleur: 7/8/9/10 speed compatibility?

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Amanda P, 14 Feb 2008.

1. I do try to keep up, but I need advice on this one.

I want to upgrade a bike from a single chainring to a double (or maybe triple). It has a 7-speed cassette, and I'm in no hurry to replace the rear hub, so it's likely to stay that way.

My question is: should I look specifically for a 7 or 8-speed front derailleur on the grounds that a 10-speed one will have a narrow cage for narrow 10-speed chains? Or will an 8-speed chain run through it fine?

Either way, reccommendations? The bike's running 105 and equivalentish components elsewhere, so that's the sort of level I'm afer.

2. Stick on a Giant

Stick on a Giant New Member

Phil, I haven't tried this at home, but I wouldn't think it would matter too much as far as the derailleur is concerned - the chain doesn't 'fit' tightly in the cage, and as long as a 7 speed cassette takes up as much room as a 9 or 10, which I think it does, there shouldn't be an issue with the angle the chain goes through the cage.

What you probably do need to check, is whether you can a) buy a 7 speed front chainset or :smile: whether a new 105, ie 10 speed, chainset will run OK with a 7 speed chain - and I don't know the answer to that!

3. Landslide

Landslide Rare Migrant

FWIW...

I'm currently running an 8spd chain and cassette using a 9spd Tiagra front mech.
    To further test Shimano's theories of incompatibility I'm using 24/36/46 chainrings (supposedly too small for the mech.

It all works fine when I remember to lube the cables...

4. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Exterminate Christmas! Moderator

I've run 7 speed chain (Sram) through a 9 speed Mirage front mech before now, in an otherwise Shimano setup. It worked well enough, or as well as it had any right to, given the mishmash of stuff.

@Landslide - what chainset are you using? i assume it's an MTB one, as I don't think 36T 110 pcd rings are doable, unless they're pentagons rather than rings!

Currently running 48/38/24 on a Sora, with 13-26 at the back. Anything that won't get me up, I'd need crampons.

5. Landslide

Landslide Rare Migrant

(Pre-compact drive) Shimano Exage, 74/110mm BCD. Sheldon (God rest his soul) reckons you can go as low as 33T on 110.

6. 26/36/46 sounds like an old-skool 7sp MTB chainset, which are I think 110
    36T on 110 BCD is quite normal, most road compacts are 36 or 34/50
    But yes a road triple is normally 130 BCD not 110 and so you'd only get 38

I ran Sora 8sp shifters (no trim capability) with a Sugino triple chainset, 8sp chain and 9sp 105 front mech for a while, worked fine but was a bit awkward to set-up to avoid chain rub (not problem, just annoying - could set it to rub on inside or outside or even both sides but never managed to use middle ring and all 8 on the cassette)
    Switched to 9sp chain and it was fine - suspect the 9sp mech plates are narrowed-together than an 8sp would be and so it works better with the narrower chain

7. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

i didn't think it mattered too much but i had an 8sp one when i upgraded to 9sp, and it shifted ok, but not brilliantly. I've now got an ultegra 9sp one and it shifts pretty well.

8. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Exterminate Christmas! Moderator

@Landslide and Andy - I was thinking road, so i did mean 130 mm PCD. 33T 110 mm PCD rings are indeed available, C+ reviewed them recently.

Don't see why we can't use 110 for everything. Life would be easier!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice