Front derailleur adjustment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Manonabike

Über Member
My bike is driving me nuts lol - I changed the gear cables over the weekend cos I was having problems with the front derailleur. All works well with the exception of changing to the small chainring when there is just a little bit of a gradient. On the flat it works fine.

Now, I adjusted the high and angle of the derailleur, I don't think the 'L' limit screw has any adjustment left - I can undo the screw a bit more but it wont make any difference I think the limit is at its maximun.... in other words I failed to improve the job my LBS had done :biggrin: this mean that whenever I think I will need the small chainring I have to change to that while on the flat and that is annoying me a lot :biggrin:

The process I used to adjust the 'L' limit was this:

Chain on largest sprocket at the back and smallest ring in the front
released the cable tension
'L' screw adjusted so that chain 1 - 2 ml from the inner plate

As I said before, the rest is fine....

BTW it's a cheap Alivio derailleur :smile:

Thanks in advance

woohoo

Veteran
When you say you've reached the limit of the "L" screw, have you checked to make sure that the cable is still not under tension?. If it is, you'll need to release a bit of the cable and the reset the "L" screw because, at present, it might be the cable, not the "L" screw that is limiting any more movement.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Manonabike said:
My bike is driving me nuts lol - I changed the gear cables over the weekend cos I was having problems with the front derailleur. All works well with the exception of changing to the small chainring when there is just a little bit of a gradient. On the flat it works fine.

Now, I adjusted the high and angle of the derailleur, I don't think the 'L' limit screw has any adjustment left - I can undo the screw a bit more but it wont make any difference I think the limit is at its maximun.... in other words I failed to improve the job my LBS had done :biggrin: this mean that whenever I think I will need the small chainring I have to change to that while on the flat and that is annoying me a lot :biggrin:

The process I used to adjust the 'L' limit was this:

Chain on largest sprocket at the back and smallest ring in the front
released the cable tension
'L' screw adjusted so that chain 1 - 2 ml from the inner plate

As I said before, the rest is fine....

BTW it's a cheap Alivio derailleur :smile:

Thanks in advance

Use the Park Tool link
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75

it will adjust properly if you do things in the order specified.

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
woohoo said:
When you say you've reached the limit of the "L" screw, have you checked to make sure that the cable is still not under tension?. If it is, you'll need to release a bit of the cable and the reset the "L" screw because, at present, it might be the cable, not the "L" screw that is limiting any more movement.

Yes I checked that, the cable is not under tension whern chain is on little ring.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
I can only suggest you post pictures from various angles - as many as you can to give a clear indication - it may pickup something amiss with the way the dérailleur looks.

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
I've done some fine tuning and I've come to the conclution the spring on the derailleur isn't strong enough...... on the flat it will change to the lowest ring and going up a hill will now change if I stoip pedalling while I change...... I can see the cage moving nicely onto the small ring and then it works well.

I'm impressed on how much fine tuning one can do while riding, excellent stuff ;)

Would anybody disagree that the problem is the spring?

Thanks in advance

Top Bottom