Front derailleur, cable routing - Stupid Question!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
IMG_20170205_171918602.jpg
IMG_20170205_172005679.jpg

I'm currently trying to restore a 1980 Raleigh, 531 road frame, (pureists look away as I'm going for functional rather than authentic). I sourced a front derailleur from my LBS and with their help fitted it a couple of months ago.

Since then the project has stalled, but am slowly trying to get it over the final hurdles. One of which is wiring up the gears - I've never done this before, so this may be a stupid question. Can someone advise whether the cable should go on the inside of the black guide wheel (closest to the frame) or the outside as it is shown in the picture? Guide wheel is probably the wrong term but hey ho, live and learn.

I can't get back to my LBS for some time, due to work commitments, and have asked in a couple of shops near my work but couldn't get a straight answer. So any words of wisdom gratefully received; even if it's "it doesn't matter".

I've read a bit about routing cables and the general advice seems to be to avoid un-necessary bends; which would suggest the cable should be on the inside.

gazza1286

If the cable goes on the outboard side of the roller it appears that it would inhibit the FD cage from swinging to the large chain ring when tension is applied.
On that basis alone I would say that the cable must go on the inboard side of the roller and gripped on the inboard edge of the securing bolt where you can see the notch to give maximum leverage.

Not seen a FD like that before..

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I think I have a similar derailleur, I'll check when I get home but I think the cable runs on the outside of the roller.
*Edit - to be clear outside of roller = closest to the frame.

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
Looks as if you have the cable threaded behind the derailleur spring, (its not a roller) put it on the outside of the derailleur and the outside of the securing bolt (over the lip on the lever) this gives maximum leverage. its not clear of the cable routing, if it comes under the bottom bracket the cable should come under the left side, looking from above.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Looks as if you have the cable threaded behind the derailleur spring, (its not a roller) put it on the outside of the derailleur and the outside of the securing bolt (over the lip on the lever) this gives maximum leverage. its not clear of the cable routing, if it comes under the bottom bracket the cable should come under the left side, looking from above.
Yep, looking from above the right hand cable guide is for the rear mech (hint -it's in line with the cable stop on the chainstay)

Thanks all.

I'm pretty sure the black thing pictured is not a spring itself (though I stand to be corrected), as it's just a hard piece of plastic with no flex in it. If it helps any I should have mentioned it's a Shimano Sora (not high end, and not the latest version).
My front mech cable runs like this.
View attachment 336493

Thanks. That's just what I was after. Couldn't find a picture similar in the books I have and all the bikes in the shop near work had different set ups.

I routed the front cable from the left shifter, under the bottom bracket and up between the chainstays. Just couldn't figure the last bit, over the black roller.

Will give it a go one evening this week.

Cheers for all of the advice!

Ajax Bay

Guru
shimano-techdocs/SORA/FD

Edited to get link to work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom