Front Derailleur doesn't Fit on Frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello y'all
I hope you're staying safe during this pandemic.
I am building a customized bicycle. I've ordered a carbon fiber mtb frame from Aliexpress (probably not the best option out there...). I also purchased a Shimano Alivio Gearset (also used for mtb bikes).
Long story short, the front derailleur doesn't slide further down the frame (check picture).
I need to get it down or else I won't be able to use except the largest gear. The front sprocket is too far off the front derailleur. You can see from the attached pictures that the frame becomes wider near the bottom and hence resists the derailleur from sliding further.
I've been trying so hard to fix the problem but things didn't go well. I also messaged the seller but didn't give me a clear answer. As if they don't know!
I also tried adjusting the range of the front derailleur through the 2 screws but it also didn't work. It's far off the front sprocket!

I got to think:
1) Are there special gearsets designed for such frames that become wide at the bottom? If yes, what are these gearsets?
2) Is there a certain accessory that would mount on the frame, and in return, the front derailleur will mount on it? (For the sake of sending the derailleur downwards)

Please any comment will help. Thank you!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You need a top mount front mech, where the clamp is higher up - there are tonnes of options for MTB's. Not expensive for Tourney.

TBH, most are 1x, so check the frame was designed to use a double front ?

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Can you use band on clamps for carbon frames?, I thought all that would happen was some crushed carbon?

OP
OP
Omar Ghalayini

Yes true, I just checked the link. I think a top mount front derailleur would solve the problem. Honestly, I didn't think that derailleur mount types ever mattered.
However, taking into consideration that I have an Alivio Gearset, is this Deore FD-T6000 would work? I also did some research, I found this:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/deraill...-dual-pull-front-derailleur-40t-63-to-66-deg/

Do you think that this is a better option? Or it doesn't matter?

OP
OP
Omar Ghalayini
No reason why not if you don't use big spanners to attach it. But I recon the frame is probably 1x not for triple.

I thought about that, but the seller clearly stated that this frame is a mountain bike frame. Aren't all mountain bikes supposedly posses dual/triple front sprockets?

Even if not, the bicycle frame contains some fittings that clearly indicate the possibility of mounting a front derailleur. Kindly check attached photos.

OP
OP
Omar Ghalayini
In which case there won't be mounts, stops or internal runs for a cable. Perhaps the op could check and report back.

I think due to the presence of some fittings, it is possible to mount a front derailleurs.

I have to insist that I did check each fitting. There is one for the rear brake, another for the rear derailleur cable, and a third for the front derailleur cable. I will attach some images of the frame, perhaps it can help visualize my problem.

OP
OP
Omar Ghalayini
Frame seems badly scored. Not designed for a triple?

Honestly speaking, I'm not sure. I'm messaging the seller but he's not responding. If you check the comments above, I do believe that the frame is capable of acquiring more than 1 crank ring.

However, if you look at the appended picture, you'll see that the crank rings are too close to the bicycle frame. They're not touching though. I'm not sure whether this is normal or not...

ChrisEyles

Guru
Can you use a longer spindle square taper BB to shift the chainrings a little further from the frame? Would obviously need a new crankset too, and you could only move it as far as the swing action on the front mech allows. Might be enough to get a bit more clearance.

@fossyant is probably right that the frame is intended for a single/double chain ring. Frustrating that this is now the standard, I much prefer a triple myself.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Honestly speaking, I'm not sure. I'm messaging the seller but he's not responding. If you check the comments above, I do believe that the frame is capable of acquiring more than 1 crank ring.

However, if you look at the appended picture, you'll see that the crank rings are too close to the bicycle frame. They're not touching though. I'm not sure whether this is normal or not...

View attachment 541690

View attachment 541691
I would fit a 5mm spacer on there to push it out from the frame a touch

Top Bottom