Front End Creaking/Clicking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jhey

Hello guys, wondering if anyone can help me, I'm getting a clicking/creaking sound when turning the handle bars, mostly when I'm riding, doesn't really do it on the spot/standing still and also doesn't seem to do it with only one hand on the handle bars but only with both, I've took out the headset etc and cleaned it and regreased it along with the bolts etc but it's still happening and sounds like it's worse now than ever, It happened a few weeks back then randomly stopped and has come back with vengeance. It's not the cables etc either, I tried doing it with holding each one away from the frame and it was still happening.

I've got a link to a video of me trying to record what I mean.

https://vid.me/s813

EatSleepRideRepeat

AKA Martin from Wales
I noticed a creaking noise that started about 3 weeks ago, thought it was the bottom bracket, (I ride a recumbent, so bottom bracket is out front), changed the bearings, but no change in the noise. It got worse, and on very close examination, turned out to be both fork legs have cracked at the top connection to the crown. Needless to say I have stopped using it, and will be looking to replace. Manufacturer said they had come across this before, and not to worry. The forks are ally, so are glued to the crown, so it could be just the paint cracking............:ohmy::sweat::unsure:

OP
OP
Jhey

Jhey

I noticed a creaking noise that started about 3 weeks ago, thought it was the bottom bracket, (I ride a recumbent, so bottom bracket is out front), changed the bearings, but no change in the noise. It got worse, and on very close examination, turned out to be both fork legs have cracked at the top connection to the crown. Needless to say I have stopped using it, and will be looking to replace. Manufacturer said they had come across this before, and not to worry. The forks are ally, so are glued to the crown, so it could be just the paint cracking............:ohmy::sweat::unsure:

hopefully nothing as serious as that, can't afford some new forks right now lol, only just got a new BB and the tools with it, fiancee will kill me if I have to spend more, getting married in a week :wacko:

Edit: after a close inspection I couldn't find any cracks or anything in the frame and forks which is good, I'm going to give it another try and strip it down, clean it out and see if I missed any grit

Last edited:
hopefully nothing as serious as that, can't afford some new forks right now lol, only just got a new BB and the tools with it, fiancee will kill me if I have to spend more, getting married in a week :wacko:

Edit: after a close inspection I couldn't find any cracks or anything in the frame and forks which is good, I'm going to give it another try and strip it down, clean it out and see if I missed any grit
Get the crown race out, have a look to see if it's okay (no play, no cracks etc).

gbb

Legendary Member
Fork type Jhey ?
My old Bianchi with full carbon forks cracked and creaked when it was quite new...alarming cracking sound. Made a couple attempts at adjusting the headset, something id had no problem doing on other bikes but gave up and took ot to my LBS. He knew straight away...bung in the carbon steerer. Undid everything as usual...but gave the front wheel a fair bounce on the floor and tightened it all back up. Never happened again.
Just maybe similar to your problem.

OP
OP
Jhey

Jhey

Fork type Jhey ?
My old Bianchi with full carbon forks cracked and creaked when it was quite new...alarming cracking sound. Made a couple attempts at adjusting the headset, something id had no problem doing on other bikes but gave up and took ot to my LBS. He knew straight away...bung in the carbon steerer. Undid everything as usual...but gave the front wheel a fair bounce on the floor and tightened it all back up. Never happened again.
Just maybe similar to your problem.
My forks are just standard alloy ones that came with the bike, haven't got round to looking at it again yet but will do.

Edit: took apart again, cleaned, lubed and also moved a rubber seal that I found stuck at the bottom of the forks that sat on top of the crown race and under the bearings which I never noticed before but it didn't seem to sit right, checking online and I couldn't find anything with tutorials etc mentioning or showing the rubber seal at the bottom but and only at the top, it seemed to fit better on top between the compression ring and dust cover and I would of thought made more sense there too and maybe the bottom bearings wasn't sitting properly due to the rubber seal, will test tomorrow and see if it has helped.

My headset setup is pretty much same as the second one - Integrated Headset (No cups)
http://www.fullspeedahead.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Headset-Installation-Instructions9.pdf

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jhey

Jhey

ok so last night I was up til 4am cleaning the bike, greasing, looking for cracks etc to stop the clicking/creaking and there wasn't any issues. Took the bike out today and it continued to do it (Though I believe it to be the headset bearings) but after 10 or so miles, it completely stopped and was silent for the rest of the 60 odd mile ride, strange lol.

Reactions: gbb

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I had a similar 'creaking' experience on a new Giant Defy 5.
It turned out to be - "a collar which had not been bonded properly onto the steerer".
LBS changed the bike for another new one.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
ok so last night I was up til 4am cleaning the bike, greasing, looking for cracks etc to stop the clicking/creaking and there wasn't any issues. Took the bike out today and it continued to do it (Though I believe it to be the headset bearings) but after 10 or so miles, it completely stopped and was silent for the rest of the 60 odd mile ride, strange lol.
Bizarre.

Perhaps it felt sorry for your lack of sleep.

Top Bottom