Front Freewheel hub on a Trials Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dubhghall

My son has an Onza trials bike with a front free wheel hub - single speed.

Rotating the cranks leads to the chain going really tight at one point, the freewheel hub squeeks and then as you rotate a bit more all is well again until the same spot on the rotation.
It would look as if something is funny with the freewheel hub - bent perhaps??

Any ideas please?

GilesM

Legendary Member
Sounds like the chainring is worn, they don't wear evenly due to the different amounts of force that is put through the pedals depending on the position of the cranks, example more force when the cranks are at quarter to three, than at six o'clock, this will result is the chain tight spots that you are seeing.

GilesM

Legendary Member
If the bike is only a month old, then I think he's bent something, unlikely the chain ring would be worn that much after a month, however if it's a second hand bike that he's only had a month, then it might be worn bits.

IHTH

MartinC

Über Member
It sounds like the chainring isn't centered properly. It's rare that the chainring and BB will be totally concentric 'cos of tolerances in manufacture and in the chainring bolt clearances. This will create tight spots in the drive train. You can sometimes improve this by improving the centering of the chainring. AASHTA http://sheldonbrown.com/fixedb.html - look at chain tension

OP
OP
dubhghall

dubhghall

It sounds like the chainring isn't centered properly. It's rare that the chainring and BB will be totally concentric 'cos of tolerances in manufacture and in the chainring bolt clearances. This will create tight spots in the drive train. You can sometimes improve this by improving the centering of the chainring. AASHTA http://sheldonbrown.com/fixedb.html - look at chain tension

Excellent, many thanks :biggrin: ! Next problem will be trying to get at the bolts when the chain ring is only 18t! I think I will take the crank off first and have a good look, but this is probably the answer - as I can't really see him bending the crank spindle.

Top Bottom