front gear back gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlueBird

Hello everyone,

I just received my road bike. I've never had a bike that had two gears apparently one for the back wheel and one for the front?????
I'm very confused. Can someone please explain how to use these? what's the difference between the front gear and back gear and when to use them???
I've only ever had bicycle that had one click gear, but this new road bike has a set of two gears on both handle bars. The bicycle is a liv disc road bike. Many thanks in advance.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Try watching these videos from GCN - Global Cycling Network How to use road bike gears and How to use Road Bike Shifters If you search for GCN on YouTube you'll find a lot of helpful videos on this topic and many, many others.

13 rider

Guru
Big cog at the front ( chainring) higher gear harder to pedal ,smaller Cog lower gear easier to pedal
Rear cogs ( cassette ) other way round ,biggest cog lowest gear easy to pedal ,smallest cog highest gear hardest to pedal .
Find a flat bit of road and ride up and down playing with the gears your legs will tell you which is correct
Ideally you need to be in a gear that your legs can do 70 to 80 revs per minute this is called cadence

Without seeing them, I'd assume that if there's two levers on each handle bar then they're like gear paddles on a cars steering wheel.
On each side, one lever will shift up a gear and the other one will shift down.
Normally it's right hand side shifts the back and left shifts the front.
At both ends, moving the mech/chain towards the frame make it easier to pedal and away makes it harder.

Luck ......... :biggrin:

Top Bottom