Front light for unlit roads/offroad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
This one which I have takes AA's
http://www.cateye.com/intl/products/detail/HL-EL530/
but is now obsolete, replaced by the EL540 so must be pretty good.

However, I upgraded to a Volt 300 which is a rechargeable and I can't believe how much better it is than the EL530 and I was pleased with that when I got it. I carry both now so have the EL530 as my backup.

Down load the cateye beam chart has some good comparisons.
Keith

oldstrath

Über Member

Saferide or BuM Ixon Premium on the bars for road, one of these or similar on the helmet for offroad/really twisty lanes

Any reason you say "can still find"?
It's not being discontinued is it?
You also seem to imply that AA may not be the best choice.
Any reason/s?

A couple of places I looked at had 'out of stock' or 'no longer available' (but not everywhere).

My own preference is for lights with 18650 batteries, which have been significantly brighter (= better in my book, within limits) than anything AA powered I've had myself. I've also recently tried a couple of USB charged lights (internal batteries) with similar results (those were "being seen" lights)

si_c

Guru
A couple of places I looked at had 'out of stock' or 'no longer available' (but not everywhere).

My own preference is for lights with 18650 batteries, which have been significantly brighter (= better in my book, within limits) than anything AA powered I've had myself. I've also recently tried a couple of USB charged lights (internal batteries) with similar results (those were "being seen" lights)

My front light is almost dead, old cateye one powered by AAs, worked ok for around town with streetlights, but not the best light and doesn't appear too visible to other road users anymore. Thinking of ordering the Fenix BC30, which has 18650 batteries, looks pretty good for the most part. I like the idea of user replaceable batteries, just throw spares in my bag and forget about them until needed.

Top Bottom