front light incorporating a reflector

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Can anyone recommend a front light/reflector unit that is simple on/off as a fit and leave on (so no mega costly ones).

Before people say owt, it is only as a backup/ year round attached light. Night/winter riding is always done with quality lights attached also.

I have a couple of Cateye reflex 560's but am not totally happy with them.

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_3AXV6B82.jpg

http://m.evanscycles.com/products/cateye/reflex-hl-560-front-light-ec024627

They're both a bit hit and miss with the auto on /stoplight facility & can be mounted where I can't always see them obscured by front luggage to be sure they're on all ride.

OP
OP
shouldbeinbed

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
That'd be a no then.

Ach weel, I'll persevere with this one.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'm struggling to see what a daytime reflector/light can do that a simple light can't. I've never consciously noticed a front reflector in daytime whereas I have often noticed lights.

OP
OP
shouldbeinbed

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I'm struggling to see what a daytime reflector/light can do that a simple light can't. I've never consciously noticed a front reflector in daytime whereas I have often noticed lights.
Not particularly for daytime, I like to have a light on the bike permanently for those times I stop out late or get bad weather days like today. I'm a bit anal about reflectors too, front back and pedals, I known what you mean tho, I admit I'm being finnicky and OTT :smile:

Thanks @marknotgeorge for the suggestion too, but I'm short on the dosh to retro fit a hub dynamo set up - I've got a Shimano hub and B&M IQ fly I could cannibalise too but it'd ruin my chances moving the bike they're currently on as readily too.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Not particularly for daytime, I like to have a light on the bike permanently for those times I stop out late or get bad weather days like today. I'm a bit anal about reflectors too, front back and pedals, I known what you mean tho, I admit I'm being finnicky and OTT :smile:

Thanks @marknotgeorge for the suggestion too, but I'm short on the dosh to retro fit a hub dynamo set up - I've got a Shimano hub and B&M IQ fly I could cannibalise too but it'd ruin my chances moving the bike they're currently on as readily too.
There was a new bike delivered at marmoset mansions with a reflector already attached. I stuck a light on it and then used it on a really dark out-of-town ride. Last thing I wanted was to reduce visibility so I added another light and hung the reflector upside down. It was getting busy on the tops, upside down left more room. For all I know, my upside-down reflector may be only blinding lost roadside ants but, hey, I'm still a living statistic.

Sara_H

Guru
Can anyone recommend a front light/reflector unit that is simple on/off as a fit and leave on (so no mega costly ones).

Before people say owt, it is only as a backup/ year round attached light. Night/winter riding is always done with quality lights attached also.

View attachment 87727

They're both a bit hit and miss with the auto on /stoplight facility & can be mounted where I can't always see them obscured by front luggage to be sure they're on all ride.
The HL560 is the standard version, HL570 is the auto version which turns itself on and off inexplicably!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
If you're looking for a cheap as chips solution Poundworld and 99p Stores both do a 3-LED front light incorporating a reflector that takes 2AAA batteries and have constant on or flashing modes.
Very much a back up light but how can you go wrong at that price...?

Sara_H

Guru
Someone just mentioned the Toepeak aura on one of the Brompton Facebook pages. Comes in front and rear.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/lig...|adp:1o1|kw:&gclid=CLHqsYCLy8UCFa3MtAodICkAXw

Sara_H

Guru

View attachment 87727

I emailed the company about how to disable the auto function and they've replied!

Dear Sara,

Many thanks for your email.

To disable the Auto mode on the Cateye HL570 all you need to do is press and hold the button for 10 seconds and this will switch it off. When you switch the light on again, it should be in manual mode for you to then turn on and off whenever you like.

We have also attached a copy of the user manual for your information.

Kind Regards

Sarah

Customer Services

Top Bottom