Front light recommendations - £60 budget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
+ for the hope vision 1. Well worth the money. I picked up (4) Energizer 2450mAh rechargeables for £14.99 from Argos. 1 charge is enough for me to cycle to work and back all week (i work nights, so always cycling in the dark.)

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Another vote for Hope

dav1d

potsy said:
Quick point on the Hope- you also need to cost in some decent re-chargeable batteries as they don't come with the light,I'd say maybe £10 should get you 4.Oh and you'll get about 8 hours on level 2(medium) setting which is decently bright.

Is it pencil batteries it uses? If so, you can get rechargable batteries from Home Bargains for around £5 for 4 which also come with a charger (they seem to be decent enough batteries, around1500mah I think), or if they've sold out of those (they often do), they do a 2 pack with a charger for £2.99.

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Fairly universal in your recommendation boys and girls ... I'll have a shop around for a Hope 1 then ... thanks. ;)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
dav1d said:
Is it pencil batteries it uses? If so, you can get rechargable batteries from Home Bargains for around £5 for 4 which also come with a charger (they seem to be decent enough batteries, around1500mah I think), or if they've sold out of those (they often do), they do a 2 pack with a charger for £2.99.

I've been using 2500 and 2600 ones. Don't know what the numbers mean but Mr Summerdays told me to use those ones out of our collection of batteries with different numbers on.

GrahamG

Guru
Definitely need to be using over 2000ma - the higher the figure the better as it's in reference to capacity - I use 2800ma rechargeables for the fenix torch and they last very well indeed (for ref. I think standard duracells are about 3200ma).

One thing worth pointing out is that decent quality, high capacity rechargeables need to be looked after properly with a 'smart' charger - don't just get the cheapest plug in available as it just charges the batteries on a set cycle, smart chargers measure the remaining charge and time accordingly so they don't get over-charged which can reduce battery life. It means £15 instead of a fiver but it's well worth it.

jimboalee

GrahamG said:
Definitely need to be using over 2000ma - the higher the figure the better as it's in reference to capacity - I use 2800ma rechargeables for the fenix torch and they last very well indeed (for ref. I think standard duracells are about 3200ma).

One thing worth pointing out is that decent quality, high capacity rechargeables need to be looked after properly with a 'smart' charger - don't just get the cheapest plug in available as it just charges the batteries on a set cycle, smart chargers measure the remaining charge and time accordingly so they don't get over-charged which can reduce battery life. It means £15 instead of a fiver but it's well worth it.

I'll second that.

Tesco, would you believe, sell a "1 hour" charger for £20 which measures the battery temperature.
It pushes 2 A through 2100 mAhr NiMh AA cells until the cell's temperature has reached the limit, and then swithes down to a trickle.
It takes AA and AAA ( 850 mA charging current ) so is good for the AAA cells in the P7 lenser.

My digital camera is the ultimate battery tester.
Duracell Ultra Alkalines last 25 minutes.
2500 mAhr NiMh last about 45 minutes.
Any other batteries, Carbon cells and half charged NiMh last about 10 seconds.
I blame the 2Gb microdrive and its motors..;)

Top Bottom