Front Mech problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

maddog.mark

The front mech on my bike is fouling the chain when I'm in the largest front cog and the either 8 or 9 on the rear. I've tried adjusting the H screw but can't seem to move it far enough out, what other adjustments are there to make?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mark

PS It doesn't look bent or damaged and as far as I know hasn't had a knock!

OP
OP
maddog.mark

maddog.mark

Thanks Lee... next question as I'm relatively new to understanding front or rear mechs, do I need to increase or decrease tension?

Archie

Errrr.....
Once the L screw is adjusted to the correct position you tighten the cable clamp, so effectively there's no tension on the cable in this position.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You need to road test stuff....... and take out a screw driver (just in case)..once sorted you don't touch it.....

Just sit and look how it works....basic mechanics...a lever, a few screws..easy.......

Believe you me, bikes are simple (I am a 'desk jocky') REALLY..... mechanically they are perfect......easy to fix and service....... Sora stuff or Super Record.... honest....

OP
OP
maddog.mark

maddog.mark

Ok so I managed to make matters much worse before they got better, for such a simple idea it's a right pita to get right:angry:. Luckily a friend who also happens to be a keen cyclist came to my aid and after an hour of fiddling it's sorted, well at least until the cable settles in and needs tightening.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The screws on the mech set the limits of its travel.

The low adjustment screw, according to Shimano's set up instructions, is adjusted without the cable being clamped. I usually set the high limit once I've clamped the cable by pulling the gear cable and watching where the mech ends up.

Everything else is cable tension, generally. A set of inline adjusters, if your bike doesn't already have them (most do), is a good investment, and will save you having to reclamp the cable every time you need to adjust tension. Remember to have the adjusters at about their halfway point when clamping cables so that you have adjustment available in both directions (less tension/more).

Edit: If you have Shimano gear, look on their "Tech Docs" site at the service instructions pdf for your gear mech - they're very good for walking you through setting up and then trouble shooting the mech.

OP
OP
maddog.mark

maddog.mark

Thanks for the additional comments, I think I've got it sorted now, just need to ride the bike and fix any snags from there.

Top Bottom