Front mudguard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robbiep

Über Member
Last minute help please!

I was due to ride LEJOG without any mudguards but after riding Sat in the pouring rain I'd like to fit a front (only - have rack on) that fits over the tyre and moves when i turn the handle bars.

The problem was going round corners my feet got absolutely drenched in seconds - any ideas for a front only guard - light weight please.

Thanks - oh, and something a chimp could fit! :smile:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Worthwhile mudguards come in pairs, I'm afraid. But even if you have a rack fitted, it's still worth having a rear mudguard - a surprising amount of muck gets flicked up from the back of the back wheel. If you're riding with a companion behind you, you will stay much better friends if you have rear mudguards! Muck also gets carried right around the wheel and dumped on your chain and front derailleur and ankles if you've no rear mudguard.

So buy the pair. Choose a pair that are wide enough to cover your tyres. Check the size markings on your tyres and tell that to the guy at the bike shop when you buy (or show him the bike).

Most bike shops will have ESGE "chromoplastic" mudguards. They're good, light and cheap and easy to fit if your bike has eyes on the dropouts for them. (If not, you'll need to buy P clips for the stays and forks. A good Local Bike Shop - i.e. not Halford's - will advise). Stronglight also do some which are reputedly even better and even cheaper.

£30 will cover it.

To be honest, any mudguards can be a bit fiddly to fit, but I promise it's worth it when it rains.

(All the above assumes you're not riding a bike with suspension).

jarushby

Last minute help please!

I was due to ride LEJOG without any mudguards but after riding Sat in the pouring rain I'd like to fit a front (only - have rack on) that fits over the tyre and moves when i turn the handle bars.

The problem was going round corners my feet got absolutely drenched in seconds - any ideas for a front only guard - light weight please.

Robbie, dont worry. It isn't going to rain. Just keep thinking that and you will be fine :biggrin:

OP
OP
R

robbiep

Über Member
That's the spirit John!! Currently I have no waterproof trousers or mudguards! 8 hours of rain and I'll throw all my toys out!! :smile:

What trousers do you suggest?

Barbelier

Last minute help please!

Robbie
I fitted these in black:

SKS Mudguards

I think they are brilliant - lightweight, strong & solid as a rock without a squeak or coming the slightest bit loose since I put them on 1700 miles ago. They were a little bit fiddly to fit and I had to drill a slightly larger hole to attach the rear one to the frame, but didn't take too long so long as you patient.

I would definately fit the rear one. In heavy surface water I find muddy water sprays up your back if you don't!

Also mudguards whilst essential will not stop you're feet getting wet. I would recommend a decent pair of overshoes.

OP
OP
R

robbiep

Über Member
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

I did fail to mention I have a rack bag that will sit on top of the rack. The base of that will take the brunt of the crap!!

I'm using a small dry bag inside to protect my evening wear.

Went to Halfords for a look yesterday, may have well gone to McDonalds!!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Hi Lee, already have overshoes will that be enough on their own? Do they work that well?

If it p's it down then the answer is no but will keep your feet dry for a while.

Get some full length guards, the sks ones are good

Don't forget your I pod :troll:

willem

Über Member
Gilles Berthoud stainless steel or Honjo aluminium are even better, because longer (but harder to get and harder to fit). Do not forget to get a mudflap as well. It is the difference between dry and wet feet, and between a clean and a mucky drive train. It will pay itself back quickly by reduced wear.
Willem

gavintc

Guru
If it is really chucking it down, mudguards and overshoes merely reduce the drenching they do not stop it. The sad truth is - you are going to get wet feet so ensure that your overshoes at least provide the warmth you will need. The mudguard will stop the water inside your shoe changing every 2 mins and will allow the resident water to at least gain some body warmth.

willem

Über Member
Don't be so pessimistic. I am just back from Norway. I had Shimano Goretex shoes which do indeed not keep you quite dry. With the addition of a mudflap and overshoes my feet were completely dry and warm, however.
Willem

Top Bottom