Front Page

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
The front page story in tomorrows Independent is asking the question why so many cyclists are dying on the U.K.'s roads.

rusky

CC Addict
Poor or non-existent education from both drivers & cyclists would be my first guess.

asterix

Comrade Member
Absolutely. Bloody cyclists, think they own the road, why don't they have insurance, why don't they pay road tax, why do they always jump red lights, why do they always cycle on the pavement when they aren't jumping red lights, they should stick to the cycle track, one of them nearly killed my granny, why do they all wear lycra, why do they always get in my
waaaaaaaaaaaaay :angry:

(Have I missed anything Globalti?)

rusky

CC Addict
Absolutely. Bloody cyclists, think they own the road, why don't they have insurance, why don't they pay road tax, why do they always jump red lights, why do they always cycle on the pavement when they aren't jumping red lights, they should stick to the cycle track, one of them nearly killed my granny, why do they all wear lycra, why do they always get in my

Yup, lack of hi-viz & helmet :whistle:

tyred

Legendary Member

You forgot to mention lights.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The front page story in tomorrows Independent is asking the question why so many cyclists are dying on the U.K.'s roads.

Actually, for the most part it is about why so many cyclists are dying on London's roads. I find the Indie increasingly Londoncentric, and not in a good way, but this campaign is a worthy one.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Er, are you all psychic.... tomorrow's Independent?
blush.gif

[ah, let me guess it's available on the interweb the night before.... as you were]

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
Er, are you all psychic.... tomorrow's Independent?
blush.gif

[ah, let me guess it's available on the interweb the night before.... as you were]

After watching Kung Fu Hustle last night I turned over to BBC News and they were looking at the front pages of the next days papers.

Archie_tect

After watching Kung Fu Hustle last night I turned over to BBC News and they were looking at the front pages of the next days papers.

Ah, though I've always found it odd that press releases give out information early before the events they are reporting happen... even the content of the Queen's Speech is all known in advance.... Sorry BSRU, inadvertantly diverting myself from the OT.

Is the statistic for cycle deaths significantly rising? Possibly as a consequence of the rise in popularity of cycling to get fitter, so more on the roads with a concurrent increase in accident numbers?

Is the statistic for cycle deaths significantly rising? Possibly as a consequence of the rise in popularity of cycling to get fitter, so more on the roads with a concurrent increase in accident numbers?

With a rise in the numbers of cyclists there is usually a drop in cyclist accident statistics as other road users get used to them. The article (and anecdotal comments on here) points at the rise in HGV usage in urban areas - building for the Olympics anyone?

Archie_tect

...and with the UK fuel duty trap an increasing number are foreign left-hand drive lorries- if that has any statistical significance.

Top Bottom