Front Pannier Rack with Disc Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cubecommuter

Hi,

I'm planning on doing a week's cycle tour (a first for me) in the Netherlands this coming summer and I'm going to use my current commuting bike for the trip. My bike's front forks have braze-ons for taking a front pannier rack, but it also has disc brakes. Do I need to get a specific type of front pannier rack to take account of the disc brakes, or will most racks fit? I know when I was purchasing my rear pannier rack (a Topeak Super Tourist DX) the bike shop suggested that particular model as it was one of very few racks that could be fitted to a bike with disc brakes. Is it the same situation with front pannier racks too.

As I don't know yet if this will be the only cycle tour I ever do, I obviously don't want to spend a fortune, so the cheaper the better. Any recommendations would be great!

Thanks!

cubecommuter

numbnuts

Legendary Member

Dunlopdave

Hi,

I'm planning on doing a week's cycle tour (a first for me) in the Netherlands this coming summer and I'm going to use my current commuting bike for the trip. My bike's front forks have braze-ons for taking a front pannier rack, but it also has disc brakes. Do I need to get a specific type of front pannier rack to take account of the disc brakes, or will most racks fit? I know when I was purchasing my rear pannier rack (a Topeak Super Tourist DX) the bike shop suggested that particular model as it was one of very few racks that could be fitted to a bike with disc brakes. Is it the same situation with front pannier racks too.

As I don't know yet if this will be the only cycle tour I ever do, I obviously don't want to spend a fortune, so the cheaper the better. Any recommendations would be great!

Are they rigid forks or suspension forks

cubecommuter

Paladin - York

My bike's front forks have braze-ons for taking a front pannier rack, but it also has disc brakes. Do I need to get a specific type of front pannier rack to take account of the disc brakes, or will most racks fit?

cubecommuter

I know "Old Man Mountain" do front pannier racks both for suspension forks, disc brakes etc. They are an American company but I'm not sure if there is a UK outlet. You could google OMM and see what turns up?

OP
OP
cubecommuter

cubecommuter

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd come across the Old Man Mountain racks before; they look great but are pricey. I may look at the AXIOM rack in more detail. Thanks again!

Apologies for reviving a long-dead post, but I have a very similar question.

Various outlets suggest that the Tubus Nova lowrider might be the best option, but it's out of stock on a certain website and pricey on others.
My front fork doesn't have eyelets but they sell clamps that should enable it to work on any rigid fork.

Does anyone have any experience with this rack, or any other suggestions?

Top Bottom