Front panniers rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

historyman

For my commuter needs I have a rear pannier rack and Ortlieb pannier. I have the smaller kind and usually only use one.
Thinking of fitting a fancy 'Tara Tubus' front rack instead. Like the low centre of gravity idea. But is steering/balance seriously compromised by having a pannier on only one side of a rack like this?
Never cycled with a front pannier rack before, so would be grateful for any observations on using this piece of kit.

Crankarm

Guru
Why do you want to carry a single pannier on the front rather than at present on the rear of your bike?

I would have thought that riding with 2 panniers equally weighted - one on each side of the wheel is the safest for carrying gear on the front of your bike. To have an unbalanced load at the front MAY affect your steering and control when braking. I wouldn't do what you propose. I have however carried on occasions a single pannier on my rear rack that wasn't too heavy with no problems. When I have carried panniers on the front I have paid particular attention to seeing that they are of equal weight so that the weight on each side of the handle bars is balanced. One should always try to balance distribution of load on your bike so as handling and safety are not compromised. If you are determined to do as you propose then cycle around a safe area where you can determine whether your bike still handles safely. Don't try to find this out on the open road :biggrin:.

Hope this helps.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Don't do it Historyman.

Low front pannier racks are great - if you must use front panniers. Normally the only reason for using fronts at all is that you're already full up at the back (cycle-camping etc).

But putting any weight on the steering part of the bike will make the steering heavier and slower. No problem on the open road on a tour, but not what you want on a trafficy commute. (Even with a touring load, you'd put light stuff in the front panniers).

You're better off with your single pannier on the back. Spend the money on something else.

Or give it to me.

OP
OP
H

historyman

Thanks guys. to avoid paying Uncle Phil money I will now sustain that I never had a serious intention to do this, it was a hypothetical enquiry. But I'll buy you a pint if you come to Merseyside.

Top Bottom