Front suspension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

worldtourjon

I've just read the advice for noobies and I've worked out I've got a front suspended hybrid...and I don't like it...AT ALL

I love watching the Tour de France and would love a stream line light weight bike, but I'm not made of money so this will have to do. It seems VERY heavy when riding and add my beer gut onto that and there's a lot of extra weight. What really annoys me though is the bouncing suspension! Is there anyway of tightening this up or just stopping it all otgether as when I'm pulling myself up a hill (and I try do as many hills as I can) I feel like I'm pulling or pushing the suspension more than translating it to pedal power!

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
You could replace the forks with rigid forks. That need not cost wads, but take advice from a good LBS as the drop out to crown race measurement needs to be correct for your frame geometry.

Before you do this however, are you sure your forks do not have a lock-out setting?

jimboalee

For interest, my commute bike is a converted MTB with sus' forks. It weighs a tad more than my touring bike. 8 lbs thereabouts.
The forks won't 'lock out' so I adjust them to the stiffest.

Last night, I went for an evening extended commute ride up an 18% hill near where I work. The land rises about 200 ft from bottom to top with an average 14% for half a kilometre.

The front end bounced around a bit but never left the ground. The bike is geared with a 25" lowest ( 24 ring to 23 sprocket using a 26 x 1.125 tyre )

I didn't get the thought any of my efforts were being wasted.

OP
OP
W

worldtourjon

Ta for the advice, I'm really skimping and scraping as much as I can to save for travelling so any modifications of any cost I'm trying to avoid. I'll try and tighten them, I assumed there must be something on there but I've only partially had a look but from what you've said there should be some sort of option.

Can't wait till I can afford a racing bike :biggrin:

jimboalee

If your intention is to buy a roadrace bike, continue riding the hybrid with as much weight on it as you can.

While your bank balance is building, so will your legs.

Then you will not look like an 'all the gear, no idea' newbie.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
If you post the bike/fork model, someone can possibly guide you to the adjuster if its present. Bets are, its a really stiff dial in black plastic, sitting atop the left arm. Twiddle it to one extreme or the other (if you can get it moving).

If there's no noticeable difference, leave it at one extreme, tie a ziptie (ah, you knew that was coming) around the fork arm where it meets the thick bit, and go for a ride. See how far the ziptie gets pushed up the shiny bit? Remember that.

Now twiddle it the other way, push the tie back and repeat. Whichever records the least movement is the one you want.

Top Bottom