Front V brake sticking on rim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bandini

I am trying to improve my technical know how - but at present it is still poor!

I took my wheels off today, and now the front brake is sticking on one side- sticking sort of in the rim. My bike is quite new and the brakes are cleaned and lubed.

I don't know what to do - it seems that the wheel must be central to be in place, and I have replaced the release mechanism correctly. Going away on bike for a few days so feeling worried! Please help!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'd guess that the wheel is in straight, but the alignment is a little off. I'd suggest first checking that the wheel is in square. If it is, there should be two screws sticking out of the v-brakes (one in each arm. The further in this screw is turned, the more the arm will pull back after the brakes have been applied. Try screwing the screw in on the side the pad is rubbing and it should hopefully release from the rim.

For everything you wanted to know about v-brake adjustment (and probably a lot you didn't, have a look at this video: -
http://bicycletutor.com/adjust-v-brakes/

OP
OP
Bandini

Bandini

Thanks McShroom - I just read something similar and did it - and it appears to have worked.

But now I am not sure if my wheels always sounded lik ethat when they span...and I took off the back wheel without being on both small cogs and now I am paranoid I bent the chain: did my chain always sound like that?? Guess I will have to wait til tomorrow to test it out.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I might have a look at that video. It's pretty common for pads to rub after adjustment. Unfortunately on one of my bikes it is out of action because the calliper seems to have broken, despite lubing it doesn't move very much at all.

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
Putting the chain on the smallest chain ring and bottom cog of the cassette is just to give you some extra slack to remove the rear wheel, also easier to put it back on as well.

It's not uncommon for wheels to be 'dished' incorrectly from the factory. If this is the case and you've replaced the wheel the other way round it'll rub on the pad.

It's even more uncommon for novices to replace the wheel slightly askew. Try opening and closing the skewer and see if it settles.

It might be that your brake springs have settled in a bit, an easy enough job to fix. Literally two seconds with a screwdriver. But since the bike is new and still under warranty I'd recommend you take it straight back to the shop.

If it's mechanical it's covered by warranty and if it's operator error it still falls to them since they should have trained you better.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
What's the lifetime of a cheap v brake calliper/spring etc say an acera one? Mine's still barely budging.

Springs themselves are rarely the problem, reckon your brake has either rotted on its post or the adjuster screw has slipped under the spring rendering it effectively springless.

Top Bottom