Front wheel hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ball

Yesterday while I was out riding, I suddenly began to get a serious amount of play on my front wheel, and then I realised the bearing cone had come loose.

I have attempted to fix it myself despite being a complete novice, and I seem to have fixed the problem. However, now when I put the wheel back on the bike, the pin sticks out about half an inch from the adjustable screw, which I could swear it didn't do before, it was a perfect fit. Does anyone know why this might be? Is there a spacer or a nut missing, or is it likely to be something more fundamentally wrong with the way I fixed the cone?

Thanks.

Refer to this video http://bicycletutor.com/overhaul-wheel-bearings/

I overhauled my front hub today, you an adjust the cones to allow more axle to one side than the other, perhaps this is what you have done? Or you have maybe adjusted your cones too tight.

I would take the front hub apart and rebuild it again using the video I put above.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Have you got a hub with a solid axle? If so then the cone is screwed on until the play disappears and the wheel runs freely without any grabbing. Then a lock nut is screwed on and tightened up to the cone to prevent the cone from unscrewing. Have you forgotten this bit?

OP
OP
Ball

Ball

You'll have to excuse my ignorance, I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think so. The axle can be removed completely so I don't think it's solid. Also, I have screwed on lock nuts up to the cones on each side so that can't be it.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Ball said:
You'll have to excuse my ignorance, I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think so. The axle can be removed completely so I don't think it's solid. Also, I have screwed on lock nuts up to the cones on each side so that can't be it.

That's a solid axle.

When you say that the "pin" sticks out - what exactly do you mean - the axle?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Right - has the QR got both springs correctly positioned?

Otherwise I can only say that if the QR fastens properly it must be right.

OP
OP
Ball

Ball

I'm pretty sure they're correctly placed. Though again I can't be sure. Thing is, like you say I think everything is as it should be, except for the fact that the QR now protrudes from the screw when it didn't before :rolleyes:

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Ball said:
I'm pretty sure they're correctly placed. Though again I can't be sure. Thing is, like you say I think everything is as it should be, except for the fact that the QR now protrudes from the screw when it didn't before :rolleyes:

They should be positioned like this

skewerbob.jpg

OP
OP
Ball

Ball

Problem solved. Basically, a number of the bearings had become displaced - from when I rode over some disgraceful road, so bad it felt like Paris-Roubaix - and had forced the bearing cover open a bit. For some reason this meant the cones were screwing in too far and exposing too much of the axle, so that when I put the fork on I had to screw the QR much tighter than before.

All done now, thank you all for your help.

Top Bottom