Front Wheel Noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Perhaps a damaged ball bearing in the hub?

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
Spoke not catching on the heads of the screws on the mudguard stays or something similar ? Never heard that one myself.

No it does it off the bike as well in my home made wheel truing stand, so nothing to catch on. Must admit I am flummoxed!

D

Deleted member 1258

Spoke not catching on the heads of the screws on the mudguard stays or something similar ? Never heard that one myself.

Its a new one on me as well, nearest I've heard was a hub with a bearing that had broken up and the time I had a loose nipple rattling around inside the rim.

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
Take out the QR skewer so we can rule that out ?

Removed QR, spun by hand and still there. So not to be beaten, tyre off again, rim tape off again and gave the wheel (without a QR in to eliminate) a damn good shaking and yes the rattling was still there. A bit more shaking and the rattling stopped.

Whatever it was must have worked itself out. I can only assume something lodged between the inner and outer skin of the rim.

If I'd have had some good old fashioned Pipe Cleaners I could have "rodded" between but alas I haven't!

All spoke nipple heads are intact and not loose so gave them a little 3 in 1 whilst rim tape off.

Tyre back on, wheel back on bike, quiet as a mouse.

The moral of the story, if at first you don't succeed shake the wheel some more 😊

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
A spoke nipple in the rim bed, normqlly held in place at speed but rattling around when going slow?

Fair play Neil, you have something there, when you spun the wheel at speed there was no noise but the noise showed itself as the revolutions got slower and slower.

Have only span it on the stand so far, hopefully get out on it next week (away this week) to see how it behaves in real life.

Top Bottom