front wheel replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

musa

Über Member
i have a friend at work with a dahon and his front wheel is buckled

so just wanted to know best place to get a wheel from on the decent price window
20inch wheel

I could sell him the old front wheel from my Speed Pro if that's suitable.

The bearings are new - cost me £20 for those I think.

Was only used for a limited time before I swapped it for a non-suspension one.

Please note though that it does have the Pantour suspension hub.

OP
OP
musa

musa

Über Member
Oh ok I know nowt about folders. Something decent to last hub not a major issue. How much?

Edit: gave the hub a google. Suspension on a folder, class. I shall ask shortly.

Brommyboy

Über Member
Get a new rim and rebuild the wheel - its not that difficult to do! Same number of spoke holes needed. Start at the valve and copy from existing wheel (photo helps, before you strip it!).

Oh ok I know nowt about folders. Something decent to last hub not a major issue. How much?

Edit: gave the hub a google. Suspension on a folder, class. I shall ask shortly.

I assume you mean that you will ask your pal and maybe get back to me.

If you search around from this link (sorry - I can't link to the exact page)https://sslrelay.com/s75353868.onea...nid=154ff193461d6f4/shopdata/index.shopscript

and look for the following, you will see something similar in:
Dahon Kinetix Pro Front Wheel with Pantour Hub 14 Spoke Black 20"(Special Price)

BUT NOTE that mine doesn't have that (unwise i think) ultra low spoke count system. Being more conventional, it would have been a bit cheaper than that I think. But very possibly stronger/more reliable.

It has 20 spokes.

I've checked it - rim seems to have very little wear indeed - not surprising as the bike has only been used fairly rarely and I have used a different front wheel for most of it's life.

I may have some spare dampening inserts as well - also possibly some spare bearings.

Let me know if you need to know more.

If your pal decides to go the brand new route, I can recommend CH White - very good service.

MTZER

I assume you mean that you will ask your pal and maybe get back to me.

If you search around from this link (sorry - I can't link to the exact page)https://sslrelay.com/s75353868.onea...nid=154ff193461d6f4/shopdata/index.shopscript

and look for the following, you will see something similar in:
Dahon Kinetix Pro Front Wheel with Pantour Hub 14 Spoke Black 20"(Special Price)

BUT NOTE that mine doesn't have that (unwise i think) ultra low spoke count system. Being more conventional, it would have been a bit cheaper than that I think. But very possibly stronger/more reliable.

It has 20 spokes.

I've checked it - rim seems to have very little wear indeed - not surprising as the bike has only been used fairly rarely and I have used a different front wheel for most of it's life.

I may have some spare dampening inserts as well - also possibly some spare bearings.

Let me know if you need to know more.

If your pal decides to go the brand new route, I can recommend CH White - very good service.

Hello @Blue Hills !
I know this is an ancient thread but maybe you still have some info about those Bearings and elastomers?!
I need to buy spare parts for the Pantour Hub and I am desperately looking for any information regarding the dimensions of the bearings and elastomers.

Any information would be really appreciated!
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello @Blue Hills !
I know this is an ancient thread but maybe you still have some info about those Bearings and elastomers?!
I need to buy spare parts for the Pantour Hub and I am desperately looking for any information regarding the dimensions of the bearings and elastomers.

Thanks!
Well hello Mtzer ! - good to hear from you - as I awoke this morning to be told that at some ungodly hour you, an entirely new bod with no history, had initiated a "follow" on me - was rather wondering what it was all about :smile:

I am not very techie so couldn't really give you any detailed specs.

I may though still have the wheel around that was referred to upthread and may be able to unearth it - it definitely hasn't been used since I mentioned it.

I may also have some spare bearings.

Can't remember where I got them from - maybe a bearing supplier in south London.

I also have somewhere, possibly, an expertly individually machined punch/press for putting them in that wheel - a very nice chap in a south london machining shop produced it in front of me.

I may also have some spare orange elastomers.

To clarify - which is the wheel you need the spare parts for?

Am in London if that helps.

<edit - am also puzzled - I see that your post is logged as 4:30 this morning - when you did the follow on me - but have only just got the alert on your thread reply>

Last edited:

berlinonaut

Veteran
Pantour went out of business already several years ago and even during their last years in business it was difficult to get information. I've no personal experience with the hub but what most people I know that have said was basically: Interesting experience and concept, but not worth the hassle longterm - most of them replaced the Pantour hub relatively quickly with a conventional one or a dynamo hub.
That said you can find the downloadable manual for Pantour hubs here and their former webpage on archive.org. In the UK Ben of Kinetics in Glasgow was the former importer, according to A2B, so he could know more about technical specs. Also CH. White used to sell the hubs as a Dahon spare part for quite a long time - maybe also worth a try.
As you do seem to have the hub already: Couldn't you simply measure the existing dimensions of bearings and elastomers?

MTZER

Hello,

So I called Ben and he sent me the rest of the elastomers he had though they already solidified. Unfortunately, they weren't even useful for the dimensions as they were the pre-2004 hub which only used one cylindrical shaped elastomer. My version uses two elastomers, a cube and another smaller rebound strip. I need it for the Kinetics pro wheel if that helps, it could be great if you have the Bearings and the elastomers.

Thanks a lot

Hello,

So I called Ben and he sent me the rest of the elastomers he had though they already solidified. Unfortunately, they weren't even useful for the dimensions as they were the pre-2004 hub which only used one cylindrical shaped elastomer. My version uses two elastomers, a cube and another smaller rebound strip. I need it for the Kinetics pro wheel if that helps, it could be great if you have the Bearings and the elastomers.

Thanks a lot
Can I ask where you are?

Top Bottom