Front wheel turning 90 degrees?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

parkeh

Hello. I have just bought an entry level road bike, and at this stage I am learning to ride it (have never ridden a road bike; nor any other bike in a long time). But the front wheel keeps swinging to 90 degrees when not moving. It has a life of its own.

It is also making me worried to turn when I am on the bike because it swings to such an angle. (Unless the steering is so delicate). So I can’t really turn in case of being thrown off. When I’m riding straight however the wheel stays straight.

It’s a brand new bike. Should the wheel be able to turn 90? And if not, do I need to tighten the front of the bike somehow? It also means if I try to walk and push it along with the seat it’s impossible of course because the wheel swings round.

Any advice welcome. Apologies if a stupid question.

vickster

Legendary Member
Take it back to the shop you bought it from and get them to check it over.
However, I had a bike that did that, annoying when parking but perfectly rideable

All uphill

Still rolling along
Hi and welcome.

Could you post a side view of the bike?

That would help show if the bike has been assembled correctly.

As @vickster says if you are doubtful dont hesitate to go back to the place you bought it.

dodgy

But the front wheel keeps swinging to 90 degrees when not moving. It has a life of its own.

If it does this when your hands are on the bars, then it's time to worry.
I suspect this isn't happening.

boydj

Legendary Member
It's a perfectly normal thing for the stationary wheel to fall to one side or another when unsupported. Once the wheel is turning, the laws of physics dictate that it moves in a straight line unless a turning force is applied.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It's related to the bike's geometry.
Smaller framed bikes can be quite prone to it.

This!

Some of the racier road bikes are prone to it too. Longer wheelbases and raked forks / relaxed head tube tend to make the steerer more benign. It's also why you can ride no-handed on some bikes and yet find it harder to do on others. Ditto with pushing the bike along by the saddle and walking alongside, some bikes behave, others want to wander.

It all matters naught when you're riding.

Top Bottom