Frontpannier rack recommendation for 700C suspension fork?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickC

My 700C-wheeled bike with front suspension fork needs fitting with a durable pannier rack before I take it out for a serious bit of European touring. And of course most lfront low riders can't be fitted. So any suggestions about what might fit? (And please don't simplytell me not to tour with a front suspension fork; I've already heard those particular arguments.)

willem

Über Member
Old Man Mountain Ultimate Lowrider? See www.m-gineering.nl for the website of the Dutch importer. This would be my choice for a bike with 622mm wheels. The other OMM racks have your luggage far higher, which may be ok for a mtb, but would probably not handle very well on your bike. The Tubus Swing by all reports does not handle very well (luggage too far forward). Finally, there is the rather complex and expensive FAIV.
Willem

Well - that's my three suggestions already covered!

The only other option is to use a trailer instead of panniers.

Bodhbh

Guru
andym said:
You can order OMM racks direct from the States - IIRC the UK importer is Carradice.
Carradice seem to be out of them till mid-feb, as I was after one myself. OMM are also out of stock last time I looked a couple of weeks, but I haven't chased them up to find out when they'll be back.

Bodhbh

Guru
willem said:
The Tubus Swing by all reports does not handle very well (luggage too far forward).
Willem
I used one on a Rockhopper with front suspension which I left on for my first tours last year as it could be locked out. I've had nothing else to compare it with so can't comment too much, but it did seem a little unstable up front however.

The bikes in bits getting some TLC atm, but when it's reborn in a couple of weeks will have rigid forks and will give the OMM lowrider a go.

Pongunagu

I have a Tubus Swing on my touring bike (140mm fork), and I think it's the best bit of kit on the bike! If you're travelling in places where suspension is desirable, the Swing puts the weight above the active part of the suspension, so your luggage doesn't get shaken to destruction, and the bags' inertia makes for a VERY smooth ride. Can't rate it highly enough. As for handling, once rolling it's fine - I could easily ride no-handed. At rest it flops from side to side in an alarming way so you can abandon any idea of using a kickstand (etc) - you need to lean the bike against something, or on its side. Never caused me any problems. It's simple to fit (might need a couple of spacers depending on the shape of the crown on your fork), rock-solid sturdy, and reliable.

Bodhbh

Guru
Pongunagu said:
I have a Tubus Swing on my touring bike (140mm fork), and I think it's the best bit of kit on the bike! If you're travelling in places where suspension is desirable, the Swing puts the weight above the active part of the suspension, so your luggage doesn't get shaken to destruction, and the bags' inertia makes for a VERY smooth ride. Can't rate it highly enough. As for handling, once rolling it's fine - I could easily ride no-handed. At rest it flops from side to side in an alarming way so you can abandon any idea of using a kickstand (etc) - you need to lean the bike against something, or on its side. Never caused me any problems. It's simple to fit (might need a couple of spacers depending on the shape of the crown on your fork), rock-solid sturdy, and reliable.
I agree it's rock solid and a very neat bit of kit, particularly the way it puts luggage above the suspension. I've taken the bike off-road a fair bit with the front panniers full of heavy junk (tins of Guinness generally the chief suspect) and the load sits very well while the front wheel is taking a good battering. But it is also sits very high on the bike and on the road cornering at speed has felt a bit shakey sometimes. However, I've done things backward and like I say not used a regular lowrider yet, perhaps can comment better when I've tried riding with the weight lower down and seen how that feels.

I had a set of Carradice limpets and they were fine, but they had a tendency to get caught on things when I was offroading. No better or worse than lowriders, though, as far as I'm concerned they're strictly for road bikes.

Top Bottom