Front Rack Top Bag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Farmer Sue Tickles

I am hoping someone can help me. I have been searching all over for a small top bag to fit on my front rack platform. (Not a bar bag)

The area is 260 mm long by 190 mm wide.

I would be most grateful for any suggestions. 👍

Screenshot_2024-02-28-19-56-21-24_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Blimey that rack has got more metalwork than the Firth of Forth bridge.
I think I'm right in saying the trend these days is for weight savings and bags tend to be attached to the bike itself.
I'm sure someone on here could steer you in the right direction though to fit that.

Last edited:

mikeIow

Guru
That is an odd sized front rack. Does look rather over-engineered, although I’m sure it is all light alloy 🤷‍♂️

Normally it would drop down near the hub, so you can have front panniers: that looks smaller.

Google suggests something like this, but that is on a much smaller lighter looking rack….and it doesn’t say how it fixes!
Interesting article here, but really suggesting they are more for just strapping extra kit to, or supporting a loaded bar bag.

Sorry, not much else to add…

Sixmile

Veteran
The rack on front of our tandem isn't a dissimilar size...

IMG_20240219_151409758.jpg

With a strap instead of a bag it can carry a variety of things..

IMG_20240219_151333737.jpg

with the maximum being a craghoppers back pack, two coats and a pair of clogs (sorry that I don't have a closer up pic)...

IMG_20230811_134305355.jpg

I do have a few of the velcro straps for sale if needs be. Very versatile pieces of kit.

I would be most grateful for any suggestions.
What do you intend to carry there? I'd imagine that would help focus the search?
Does your bike have suspension forks?
I think "Path Less Pedalled" did a video on "new" ways to carry bags on YouTube. I suggest having a look.

Personally, I'd be very wary of using anything with straps that could work loose that close to my front wheel.

OP
OP
F

Farmer Sue Tickles

What do you intend to carry there? I'd imagine that would help focus the search?
Does your bike have suspension forks?
I think "Path Less Pedalled" did a video on "new" ways to carry bags on YouTube. I suggest having a look.

Personally, I'd be very wary of using anything with straps that could work loose that close to my front wheel.

Yes, that particular bike has suspension forks. I also have a more "traditional" tourer. I just wasn't to put a top bag there for snacks, phone, few light tools etc.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Also known as a 'Pizza rack' so at least you'll be able to use it to pop out for a hot snack.😋
But put the box opening towards you, unless you fancy chancing it ejecting in an emergency stop!

I have pizza racks on two bikes and a stack of fail tales because there's a lot less advice about how best to use them in this country.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Have you tried eBay?, rack top bags of numerous sizes on there.

OP
OP
F

Farmer Sue Tickles

These are the said panniers and they arrive on Monday. 😁

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-03-01-23-09-35-16_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-03-01-23-09-35-16_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
F

Farmer Sue Tickles

I took delivery of those 10 litre Aquapacs today. Positive first thoughts. They look very decent for the price. Hoping to get them on the bike tomorrow and start working them a little.

Top Bottom