Frozen items bingo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Last week my rear mech was stuck, the cable must of froze in the housing. Stuck in one gear but luckily was on my mtb with a triple on the front which was working. Never had that before.

Had just the same on Friday....snow and crud had got into the cable outers and frozen the inner in place, even after defrosting, so much salt, grit and s**t in there, had to change cable

gbb

Legendary Member
Judging by my path this morning where the dogs done his business...watch out for dog doo :biggrin: I virtually had to jack hammer it up :wacko: . If you hit one on the bike......gawld knows.

I'm waiting for my Sora front mech to go...it does every winter...otherwise, no problems yet.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Last week my rear mech was stuck, the cable must of froze in the housing. Stuck in one gear but luckily was on my mtb with a triple on the front which was working. Never had that before.

I've had exactly the same for the last few mornings- running on just 3 gears (front) instead of the usual 24 as the rear mech keeps freezing! I brought the bike indoors this morning to thaw for a few minutes (Mrs G had left by then so I got away with it) before I left which worked a treat...for half a mile then the gears froze again. Then I got to work and all my locks were frozen :sad:.

D

Deleted member 1258

Riding fixed nothing to freeze up but me, beard full of ice when I got in this morning, six and a half miles. Tonight cold killed one of my front lamps, batteries nearly new but light had gone out by the time I got home, in the warmth of the house its working again.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I thought I was pretty much immune to the cold, with my balaclava, jacket, waterproof overtrousers and heated gloves, but this morning my poor tummy was freezing, and when I got to work I was in quite a bit of discomfort. It was -12! Tomorrow, I'll wear a vest.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nothing on the bike, that's because it's either sat in my office or in the hall at home at the moment - leaving it outside in the garage would freeze it. Also garage door bolt keeps freezing, so can do without the hassle.

The main thing that froze was the wife's car on Monday.......... I got up, cycled passed all neighbours chipping ice of their cars, feeling smug....... Just before 9.00am - wife called, can't move car - frozen........ handbrake had frozen solid. Got changed, cycled 8 miles home, unstuck car, dried kit off, changed back and cycled 8 miles back. Smug grin gone............ I've deliberately made sure the wife's car has been fully de-iced each morning snce. :whistle:

lofty

I`ve got a 35 year old VW camper and it was icing up on the inside on the way to pick up the wife from Asda on Tuesday morning :sad:

taxing

The padlock on the bike shed at work, so I had to leave my bike outside. When I came back to it there was a layer of frost on the seat.

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
At what temp would the brake fluid freeze ?

If your talking about hydraulic brakes like on my mtb the mineral oil I use in mine freezes at about -30c I think. If you use different fluid it's even lower, so I wouldn't worry about that happening, but I have noticed since it's been well below zero that my brake lever for the back seems more soft, so I can only assume it's shrank in volume and will expand when the temperature gets warmer.

D

Deleted member 1258

The unusual thing I have come across is squealing and juddering brakes when the temperature drops below freezing. If its above freezing they work quiet and smooth, I've cleaned the rims and blocks but its still the same. Its not something I've come across before, I suspect it might be the material used for the blocks, dual compound Koolstops on the front and the grey Koolstops on the back.

Top Bottom