Fruit flies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
We had to learn a lot about these in biology at school.....bad memories. Where is the Raid!

Julia9054

Guru
[QUOTE 5337521, member: 21629"]We had some fun with them at uni. Genetics module so we were asked to grow them to see which ones have got red eyes and which ones have got black eyes, differences in wings etc. After we've got next generation and done our "research" we asked what to do with them. Lecturer's answer was "let them go to freedom!" Our response was "???" Lecturer's explanation - "open the window and let them go".

Nice spring day, sun is shinning ... One window in a large building opens and a cloud of fruit flies goes into freedom.

Also I once forgot to clean an oven after we baked potatoes. Few days later my mother wanted to use it again to bake something and she opened it ... just to discover a whole drosophila-arium (read like "aquarium") of all stages inside - worms and flies. She's a very squeamish woman so I cannot imagine how she cleaned everything (I've already been back to UK). I couldn't stop laughing when she told me this.[/QUOTE]
I worked with them at uni too. I was told to kill them - but i let mine out of the window

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Drinking your wine - burn them with C4.

PK99

Legendary Member
Little farkers. Drinking my wine, eating my mangoes.

Put a bit of your mango skin and a strip of banana skin in a ramekin, stretch a pice of clingfilm over the top. Make a few small holes in the top with a coctail stick. Hey presto a very effective fruit fly trap. The land and crawl in but can't crawl out.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Wasn't the fruit fly expert called Mendel, an Austrian monk or something? He developed the corner stones of genetics or something. Anal types may correct me.

Anyway, the little buggers have no interest in my gin, it seems.

Julia9054

Guru
Wasn't the fruit fly expert called Mendel, an Austrian monk or something? He developed the corner stones of genetics or something. Anal types may correct me.

Anyway, the little buggers have no interest in my gin, it seems.
Mendel worked wih pea plants. His work was largely ignored at the time as it focussed on numbers and ratios - largely of no interest to the biologists of the day. Genes/chromosomes had not been discovered.
The first biologist to work with drosophila was an American called Thomas Hunt Morgan in about 1910.

Tim Hall

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Mendel worked wih pea plants. His work was largely ignored at the time as it focussed on numbers and ratios - largely of no interest to the biologists of the day. Genes/chromosomes had not been discovered.
The first biologist to work with drosophila was an American called Thomas Hunt Morgan in about 1910.
Oh Sh1t!!!!!! You could be right there, and I apologise. If it's any excuse, my Biology A level was in 1972, and I haven't studied Clegg and Clegg's Biology of the Mammal ever since. Fabulous text, but it didn't have any fruit flies.
Sorry, but Thomas Hunt Morgan sounds like an imposter.

Julia9054

Guru
Oh Sh1t!!!!!! You could be right there, and I apologise. If it's any excuse, my Biology A level was in 1972, and I haven't studied Clegg and Clegg's Biology of the Mammal ever since. Fabulous text, but it didn't have any fruit flies.
Sorry, but Thomas Hunt Morgan sounds like an imposter.
No need to apologise. I am a biology teacher and it's my job to know these things!

Top Bottom