Fruit flies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

Oh Sh1t!!!!!! You could be right there, and I apologise. If it's any excuse, my Biology A level was in 1972, and I haven't studied Clegg and Clegg's Biology of the Mammal ever since. Fabulous text, but it didn't have any fruit flies.
Sorry, but Thomas Hunt Morgan sounds like an imposter.
You would have thought Clegg and Clegg wouĺd do better writing the Biology of the Horsefly.

Wiki tells me Mendel's physics professor was Christian "neeeeeeeowwwww" Dopler.

OneArmedBandit

Could be worse - the warm weather has meant loads of house flies here.

So I bought a cheap £17 electric fy killer on eBay. Then modified the circuitry a bit to deliver more of a shock.

Now we have no flies, unless the noise of a whip cracking tells us we very briefly had a fly. Money well spent.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
No need to apologise. I am a biology teacher and it's my job to know these things!
There was a wonderful book when I was studying biology, called Psychobiology, published by Scientific American, I think. Some of it was Skinner's work with animal psychology, but there was some darker stuff with electrodes in the brains of monkeys. BTW, it didn't seem too awful back then. I drew the line at attaching electrodes to the gonads of cockroaches, but we could do our own stuff, even at A level.

No animals were harmed in the course of my A level, BTW.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
You would have thought Clegg and Clegg wouĺd do better writing the Biology of the Horsefly.

Wiki tells me Mendel's physics professor was Christian "neeeeeeeowwwww" Dopler.
Heresy! I learned that the gestation period for badgers was about twenty months. Where would the piddling aphids be in the meantime? Living in sealed milk bottles in Biology classrooms probably.

Losers!

Top Bottom