FSA Gossamer BB30 crank removal - Tools needed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul_L

Über Member
My bike came with a FSA Gossamer BB30 crankset fitted with a 53-36 chainset. I'm planning on replacing this with a Shimano 105 compact chainset and 105 BB, so that everything on my bike is 105.

I'm used to Shimano components and i'm not sure on what tools are required to remove the FSA crank. On the left crank there is some form of outer ring with 6 pin holes in it as well as a 10mm allen key bolt (see photos)

I don't want to start messing with in until i know 100% what i'm doing.

Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• 2013-04-29 18.49.30.jpg
    2013-04-29 18.49.30.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,145
  • 2013-04-29 18.51.02.jpg
    2013-04-29 18.51.02.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 522

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
It is just one hex bolt. Undo it.

You will need an adapter to use 105 on a BB30 frame. Depending on the adapter you use and the frame material, this can be a permanent modification. TBH, I have no idea why anyone would want to use a 105 chainset. I'd have stuck with the FSA until the chainrings were done in then gone with a Rotor chainset (or something else nice)!

OP
OP
Paul_L

Paul_L

Über Member
It is just one hex bolt. Undo it.

You will need an adapter to use 105 on a BB30 frame. Depending on the adapter you use and the frame material, this can be a permanent modification. TBH, I have no idea why anyone would want to use a 105 chainset. I'd have stuck with the FSA until the chainrings were done in then gone with a Rotor chainset (or something else nice)!

Mmmm, good point. Would a 105 chainset be compatible with a BB30 botttom bracket? With adapters i assume?

How do the Gossamer cranks compare with 105?
I have them on my Caad8 but am more used to Shimano stuff.

I've got 105 on my other bike and i've no real difference to report. It's a preference really, as well as the 53-36 chainrings on the FSA are a a bit high geared for some of the Yorkshire hills round here!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Mmmm, good point. Would a 105 chainset be compatible with a BB30 botttom bracket? With adapters i assume?

You will need adapters for sure, if your frame is carbon, you do NOT want a press fit adapter unless you are happy with it being in there permanently. The 105 bottom bracket will not fit directly in a BB30 bottom bracket.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Is the FSA crank bolt a10mm then? I have a new FSA chainset to put in place of it's original 'low tech' sibling. I took the fattest hex key I could find but it doesn't even touch the sides. May I need a special big hex key (12mm or something)?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
It is 10mm, left hand thread. Assuming it is the same as the Vision Trimax chainset I have, Vision and FSA are the same brand and it looks just like the one in the OP with the other small holes around it.

It is a convenient system, just like with SRAM, a single bolt and the whole crankset can be removed!

mark st1

Plastic Manc
@smokeysmoo is a bit of a BB30 geek im sure you just need an adaptor to be a ble to fit the Hollow tech bottom bracket think there is a couple of ones on the market i have 1 version spare un used i can chuck you for £5 if its of any use to you.

Yup.

Press Fit Adapter - I fitted one of these to my CAAD10 after a multitude of BB30 problems, and I've never looked back TBH, it's been perfect ever since.

Cup Style Adapter - I suspect these will be more susceptible to creaks and groans, but it does mean you can go back to BB30 easily if your brain ever falls out and you think that's a good idea :tongue:

[EDIT] Cross posted with mark st1 there, BB30 anti geek if you please :becool:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
That is a press fit adapter, if your frame is carbon, you should only install it if you are confident you will NEVER want to remove it.

Top Bottom