FTP is sooooo yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Yeah I guess. I got bored reading further after I’d worked out what they had done, so long as you can identify areas of strength/weakness and work on them appropriately.

BikeCurious

Über Member
Well I re-did the test a got my personalised training suggestions. It turns out I don't need to do anything, I'm already awesome!

upload_2017-10-18_22-12-22.png

The Sufferfest

Sorry about that Bike Curious -- we've got a few instances where the recommendations for strengths and weaknesses aren't showing up. That's not to say you are not totally badass, of course. We're fixing that bug now and will have it out of there by the weekend.

The Sufferfest

Hi 400bhp. David from The Sufferfest here. Actually, it's not set on that power curve. It's four discreet metrics tested in one, one-hour session which is then applied to pre-programmed workouts where APEX Coaching has mapped each effort in every one of our workouts to the appropriate metric.

That means that the targets above FTP will vary based on the specific workout and the intention of that workout (or even portion of the workout) relative to your 5 minute, 1 minute, and 5 second Full Frontal 4DP test values. As an example in Violator (a sprint focused workout with three sets of sprints that have various durations and recoveries), not all of the targets are based on 5 second or even 1 minute value, because by the time you get to the 1:1 ratio of work/rest intervals in the third set, it’s effectively a pVO2 max set (power at VO2 max), and therefore the target is set relative to your 5 minute power. Each Sufferfest workout varies to some degree how much and which of the 4DP targets are being used – but the big picture goal of 4DP is to more optimally have the app give just the right intensity of effort throughout the workout relative to the individual’s specific strengths and weaknesses.

400bhp

Guru
No it’s not a power curve. It’s not that sophisticated. It’s just 4 discrete points on it (5s, 1 min, 5 min and 20 min).

Nothing wrong with what you’re doing by the way and at the point you can actually just do full training plans without having to extrapolate from a .pdf I’ll be looking more closely at it.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
A lot of this seems to have started around 2010 or so. You hear of cyclists talk about 'training', but they're just riding their bikes. That doesn't sound as impressive, though, so you hear them in pubs boring the non-cyclists with tales of their 'training'.

Pfft.

It's not the same though. I coach a Youth team. Some of them ride their bikes. Some of them train. My son is in the latter category. When he started to compete, we realised that the bike riding he had been doing (increasing miles, riding not terribly quickly), would not benefit him in races, in which he was being dropped. He decreased distance, improved speed and speed endurance, and rose rapidly up the national rankings.

The difference between 'training' and riding your bike, is objective. If you want to enjoy riding your bike, by all means just ride it. If you have a specific fitness or competition objective, and wish to follow a training protocol, to progress you in your objective, then that would make sense. As a Personal trainer as well as a Cycle team manager and coach, I think it's critical to be clear in your objectives, strategy, and desired outcomes.

dodgy

I know it's not the same, that was my point :wacko:

Top Bottom