Fuel theft

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

They have them here in tesco and ASDA. The latter being exclusively all pay at the pump, with no attendant / kiosk. The limit was £60. So it must be up to the supplier what limit they want to set.
The limit might have been £60 rather than £70, it was a while ago and I wasn't that worried about the exact amount, just that it was too low.

Bayerd

Über Member
I seem to remember from a visit to USA a couple of years ago that they have a system whereby you stick the pump on, wander into the shop whilst the gas guzzler is filled, then pay once it's full. This could easily be adapted so that you prepay, fill up, if you've paid more than what's dispensed, you get a refund.

Do you remember a while back that they had "pay at pump" options at some service stations?

These seem to have disappeared - shame! They were a perfect solution - it wouldn't dispense fuel until you had given it your card - then it would charge you for the amount you'd used.

It never ceased to amaze me though that the general public would still form a long queue to pay at kiosk - while I whizzed in on my bike, used pay at pump, and whizzed off again while the rest of them were still queueing!

We still got plenty of them, every pump I've used recently (then again I havent filled up since mid June, maybe it has changed in the last month) have the option to pay at the pump or pay at the kiosk. It used to be a good way to skip the queue for the pay at the kiosk pumps but now they all seem to be both.

Maz

Guru
There are still plenty around.

My problem with them is that the maximum limit was set several years ago at £70, and has never been changed. ** My cars cost closer to £100 to fill up and I can't be arsed to do it any more than is necessary.

** Or at least, it hadn't last time I used them.
100 pound to fill up? what do you drive!?

Proto

Legendary Member
I wondered that, and came to the conclusion (a few years ago) that it was because then you wouldn't go into the kiosk and make all those impulse chocolate/screenwash/chamois/road atlas purchases.

Now that some petrol stations have a pay at the pump card facility, people don't have to go in anyway, and it might make more sense - after all, the driver would never have to get out into the wet/cold, get their hands 'dirty', etc.

With hand held card terminals, or terminals attached to the pump, it should be easy. And drivers wanting anything from the shop could go in anyway while the attendant does the fuel.

manager/franchisee of my local esso garage (with big mini supermarket attached) that he didn't make a penny on fuel sales, but was making a fortune on everything else.

Top Bottom