Fuerteventura

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fixedfixer

Veteran
Thinking ahead and wanting some winter sun I was thinking about Fuerteventura. Anyone have local knowledge about road cycling (traffic) or experience of quality of road bikes they hire out? Cheers

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would say not as popular as the other Canary islands, so you may have to travel for a bike or have them deliver. Certainly, I experienced no worse driving here than I have on all the other Canaries, I tend to go each year. You should be pleasantly surprised by how well you are treated by drivers (although some tourists can be a bit fruity). It can be pretty damn windy and I prefer the other islands overall. For ideas of routes - http://www.roadbike-holidays.com/en/cycling-tours-fuerteventura-p1422.html

gaijintendo

Veteran
I have never cycled on Fuerteventura, but it is very popular with windsurfers because its always windy.
I set my then 10km best running time in Fuerteventura, but getting back to the hotel was brutal...

So yeah, windy to the point of not being fun, in my experience. Even in a semi sheltered pool, it was unwelcome to me.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Lanzarote, which is just next to Fuerteventura would be much much better. Some fantastic, bike friendly, immaculate roads. Lots of nasty hills or nice rolling flats. It's like cycling on Mars.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Lanzarote, which is just next to Fuerteventura would be much much better. Some fantastic, bike friendly, immaculate roads. Lots of nasty hills or nice rolling flats. It's like cycling on Mars.
Also very windy, IIRC?

A friend immediately put me off when she nicknamed it "Land so grotty"! (She prefers Yorkshire's green hills to volcanic ash.)

Top Bottom