Fugly cruise ships.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Oh.... I thought I'd read that in Pete Brown's own Hops And Glory book... clearly I need to read it again, while sober :okay:

MiK1138

Veteran
Did they HAVE to; or was there a large envelope given to someone at Caledonian Steam Packet (or whatever they were called at that time) from someone at Cunard? I seem to remember that there was some agreement reached.
Brown Envelope and a Portrait of "Her Madge" iirc

Bit late to the thread,but I've got a friend who was on one of the tugs
13260103_1229437680407440_6674592154066372761_n.jpg

beastie

Guru
image.jpg
small coastal communities in the Caribbean hate them as they tend to tie up offshore and bring nothing to the local economy as they exploit local marine resources and sites.

Well that depends. I worked on cruise ships in the Caribbean and 5 days out of 7 normally we would dock and approximately 1500-2000 rich Americans went ashore to spend their silver dollars. See the table above. It was a similar story in Alaska. The town of Skagway(gateway to the Yukon) had a permanent population of a couple of thousand. In the height of summer 3 or 4 ships docked a day. The majority of passengers went ashore and spent money in local stores, restaurants etc.

The socio cultural impact may or may not be positive but financially it is a massive flow of cash into a port or islands coffers.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Bit late to the thread,but I've got a friend who was on one of the tugs
13260103_1229437680407440_6674592154066372761_n.jpg

I like a tug.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
On the ship?

No in Lisbon lol. You got searched thoroughly when re-boarding the ship, so wasn't an option to buy any. Beautiful city Lisbon, just a shame it isn't policed better. It was just constant, getting offered drugs.

As ugly as these ships are, it was amazing to see one another huge P&O ship pulling out of a port as we were going into it. The size of them becomes more apparent, when you are in such close proximity, on another ship.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Good points. Here's a rather wonderful website about alcohol on cruise ships.
http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/articles.cfm?ID=1404
It seems that most lines are pretty much prepared to strip-search you on embarkation in order to prevent you circumventing the inflated prices in their bars. It seems to occur at every port of call too. I'm not sure that having a company policy of treating adults like naughty prep school boys quite hits my buttons.

Edit: The beers on offer on most ships are simply ghastly!

Unless you are rich you have to get a drinks package. The one I was on for a week, cost around $300 for the drinks package. Even this had limitations, certain sizes of drinks were excluded, like a large glass of wine, instead of standard etc. Some of the staff advised us about this, we must of looked poor or something.. But on the whole the staff on the ship were brilliant, and offered advice how to avoid getting ripped-off. Despite having a drinks package, you were always given a bill with the drinks that you ordered. It cost around $44 for two double single malt's. Even for not a huge drinker, the package is obviously a must.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Unless you are rich you have to get a drinks package. The one I was on for a week, cost around $300 for the drinks package. Even this had limitations, certain sizes of drinks were excluded, like a large glass of wine, instead of standard etc. Some of the staff advised us about this, we must of looked poor or something.. But on the whole the staff on the ship were brilliant, and offered advice how to avoid getting ripped-off. Despite having a drinks package, you were always given a bill with the drinks that you ordered. It cost around $44 for two double single malt's. Even for not a huge drinker, the package is obviously a must.
Is it just me or is the whole tenor of the posts on that site just gobsmacking? "On our last cruise, we had a product called "rum runners". Each day we filled them with wine which we purchased on shore. Never got caught!" Someone exulting that they 'never got caught'? These are holidays, right?

wisdom

Guru
The world's largest cruise ship, Harmony of the Seas, was in Southampton yesterday.
Looking at photos of it, I am underwhelmed. All new cruise ships for the last 10 years or so look exactly the same, i.e. like a barge with a massive apartment block stuck on top of it. The only thing that tells any of them apart is their size. I watched one going down the Clyde a few days ago, the "Caribbean Princess", which looked exactly the same as this latest monstrosity.

2016-03-10T180013Z_990354230_D1AESRTDONAA_RTRMADP_3_FRANCE-STX.jpg

00578-3486357-Harmony_Of_The_Seas_once_finished_will_be_the_biggest_ever_cruis-a-5_1457640444058.jpg

Compare that to a REAL cruise ship from half a century ago.....

qe2.jpg
In total agreement great engineering but ugly.No elegance at all unlike the old cunarders.

Top Bottom