Fuji Confujion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

womblechops

As a total new person to all this fixed/singlespeed malarky (but a new person who really wants to be like those keen trendy extras from Skins who wheel around my office) I would like to ask the advice of all the wise brains here.

(This feels like an AA meeting). My name is Womblechops and I have decided I want a fixed gear bike. The trouble is I have been entered into a mini triathlon by a colleague and so want something that I can also run single speed.

As I am planning on a turn of speed I would prefer dropped bars and as light as possible. As I will also be commuting I would like the frame to be able to accommodate mudguards ("fraudax" style - I am in South London after all).

I am also impecunious and so need something at the cheaper end of the scale. Narrowing the options down the best bet seems to be a Fuji Track - but I can't find one in the shops for love nor money and I am loathe to buy on t'interweb without trying as I am tall (6'2") and so am not sure which frame size to get - 58 or 61cm.

Advice on frame sizes or alternatives is greatly appreciated from your pooled wisdom.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi womble chops, welcome to AA Cycle-chat.

Well, if you wann Fixie, you'd better get one.
First, if you're gonna use it for a mini Tri, then better to run it fixed rather than S/S which let's face it is for nonces right? People ride fixed for TT's and turn in times vetry close to their geared times, nobody ever TT's on a S/S, it's the worst of all worlds.

Bikewise of course, you need a Condor Tempo, but for less money I think a Pearson Touche would be good, light and will take mudguards. Pearson are good.
http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/index.html?action=97

OP
OP
womblechops

womblechops

Thanks for the quick reply. I've checked the rules and fixed does look like it is banned from the race though.

However I'm not really buying the bike for the race. I want a bike that I can use in the race as well as commute - it is just more than I can afford to buy a fixie (because my heart says so) AND a tri bike!

Thanks for the Touche suggestion. I'll look into it. Condor is very near where I work so I will probably go there to torment myself a bit, but as you note they're not cheap...

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
womblechops said:
Thanks for the quick reply. I've checked the rules and fixed does look like it is banned from the race though.

However I'm not really buying the bike for the race. I want a bike that I can use in the race as well as commute - it is just more than I can afford to buy a fixie (because my heart says so) AND a tri bike!

Thanks for the Touche suggestion. I'll look into it. Condor is very near where I work so I will probably go there to torment myself a bit, but as you note they're not cheap...

Visiting Condor is the way to loose money quickly ;)
A Tempo would be my first choice simply because it has old-fashioned forward facing drop-outs rather than track ends... just more practical, plus they look beautiful. But the Pearson looks good fun as well as practical all-rounder.

Top Bottom