Full chromed Sun frame - finished

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
image.jpg
just acquired this little beauty. Needs a good clean and polish and a few parts but couldn't resist the all chromed frame

Not sure of model but guessing it may be a super cresta as has the centre pull brakes rather than side pull. Brakes date it to early to mid 60s.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 142

midlife

Guru
That looks in good nick for 40 years plus old :smile:

Shaun

OP
OP
Tony Raynor

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Managed to strip it down, clean and polish it. Overall it's in good condition but there is surface rusting around the bottom bracket and under the seat post area. Need to do some more work in this area to get it looking better.

Not 100% sure what I'm going to do with it. As I'm not a real cyclist it seems a shame just to keep it in the spare room and if I build it up it would be just for the sake of it. I have actually considered using it as a piece of art but the other half said something about slow and painful death.....

It's one of those strange things, always been on the look out for an all chromed bike and now I have the frame I'm not sure I want to build it up. Can't really explain it, just a feeling I have.

Think I'll sleep on it and see what inspiration I get.

Anyway pictures of the frame as of this morning.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 183
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 119
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 104

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Could be a Snipe all chrome. Very nice Carlton build frame all the same though. The Williams chainwheel may give a clue to the manufacturing date.

OP
OP
Tony Raynor

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Thanks @Spokesmann having looked closer at the 69 catalog I see the cresta didn't have that brake bridge but it was the only one listed as all chrome. Just been looking at your prestige post and your website. Good information and very useful.

The crank wasn't a Williams but I do have a Williams crank to fit dating around 68 (damn fine year that). Did the snipe chrome have different decals as I saw that you ordered the bikes in snipe /snipe prestige and snipe chrome. You've inspired me to try and get this finished off. Have a non matching pair of 27 1 1/4 wheels with the front sporting a sturmey dynohub or I do have a set of rims but that could work out too expensive to get built up.

Only piece I'm missing are the brake levers and the rear derallieur. Going to try and get a period campagnolo one as the bike has a single campy lever. Have a wrights leather saddle, not quite brooks but I think it will look nice.

Will post more pictures when I get more done.

OP
OP
Tony Raynor

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Hubs stripped, cleaned, greased and a quick polish. Just waiting for spokes to build up the wheels. Going for single speed for simplicity but can easily pop back to geared if I want.

I knew keeping all those old hubs would come in handy. Have a sturmey for the back and atom for the front.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 64
Top Bottom