"Full Sized" Folders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriscross1966

Über Member
Chap with a Montague got on the bus I (and several other Bromptonists) catch one morning.... I've seen folding wheelchairs that were more wieldy, he happened to get off at the same stop as me so I got to see the ritual of putting it back together (front wheel has to come out to fold)... plus points for not needing tools, but that thing went from being massive folded up to looking short of wheelbase, though I'm used to how long and low a Brompton looks so the big wheels might have fooled me... it also took a while and he seemed to know what he was doing

Kell

Veteran
I looked at Swissbikes (Montague) and Airnimals before getting my Dahon (at around the same time as this thread as it goes).

The way they fold made them one compromise too much for me, and while the price of the Airnimal put me off, had it been the perfect solution, I might have paid it.

As it was, the Dahon Matrix was the bike for me. The original one with the cam hinge was far better in terms of folding, literally under two seconds and it was folded/unfolded, but the lock-jaw version always felt more stable - did mean always having an allen key though - and looked more like a 'proper' bike . So much so, that I constantly had train guards stopping me as I was walking towards the train with it still in 'ride' mode.

Interestingly, in terms of the length, they had much more usual geometry compared to a Brompton. I did have a pic of my Dahon against an M type B, but I don't know where that is.

In use, it wasn't that practical for me. My trains were often overly busy and several times I had to catch a later train as I simply couldn't get on with the bike. It also wouldn't fold small enough to go in the back of our Mini.

Not to mention the fact that both Dahons I had snapped.

For me - and it is only for me - the Brompton wins out every time due to the size of the fold. It's no slower in day-to-day riding for me. Though the furthest I've been in one day is a 40 mile round trip. Plus it hasn't snapped.

Dahon also make a 700C wheeled folder with a lighter frame (the Cadenza, I think) although people have complained about the reliability of the screw locking the frame together :tongue:

I have been using a Cadenza for my daily commute for about 10 years.You do need to keep an eye on the hinge locking cam but if you set it up well it is reliable. The bike is no lightweight and the folded package is quite wide. It rides nicely in the city on 26" Big Apples.

Top Bottom