Fully deflating inner tubes 700x23c

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

migrantwing

Veteran
I have a couple of used inner tubes that I want to carry as spares. The problem is that I can't seem to get all the air out of them so, when I try to fold them up, the remaining air in the tube is not allowing this. It's almost laughable.

Any tips?

midlife

Guru
Roll them up towards the valve expelling the air, failing that cut them in half with scissors :smile:

Shaun

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Have done this many times now, there is a knack to it.
Have an elastic band at the ready.
Fold the inner tube in small sections from the furthest section from the valve, expelling the air gradually out of the open valve.. Keep folding the inner tube until you meet the valve, close the valve.
Then, get a good grip, open the valve again, start over again, this time, wrapping the valve in a sandwich of rubber, so to speak.

Two goes will be as good as it gets.

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
Have done this many times now, there is a knack to it.
Have an elastic band at the ready.
Fold the inner tube in small sections from the furthest section from the valve, expelling the air gradually out of the open valve.. Keep folding the inner tube until you meet the valve, close the valve.
Then, get a good grip, open the valve again, start over again, this time, wrapping the valve in a sandwich of rubber, so to speak.

Two goes will be as good as it gets.

Nice tip! I'll try that @Rooster1

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
Voila!

Luckily, the missus left a few elasticated hair bobbles around. I knew they'd serve a decent purpose, as do her baby wipes :smile:

2014-08-14 10.41.39 HDR.jpg

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
I opted for the 'pro' look. It also keeps the valve safer this way. Funny how such a simple thing can elude.

2014-08-14 11.05.28 HDR.jpg

Top Bottom