Fungi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ren531

Über Member
I don't normally go for a ride on Saturdays due to being too tired from work but I had a mission to complete (a gift voucher for the far superior better half of mine) out in the stick's so had a beautiful crisp ride on the Spa Audax Mono , the road's were exceptionally quiet every one must have been Christmas shopping, the same ride the day after (Sunday) would be too busy for my liking.
So I was a guy having fun on his single speed and found some real fungi , great to have some dry clear crisp weather to enjoy for a change.

Attachments

• IMG_20231125_141551.jpg
    IMG_20231125_141551.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 44

Biker BoB

Psilocybe cyanescens appeared in the garden this year...😲😲😲

simongt

Guru
I'm attending an art class and last week, our tutor had gathered a selection of fungi form our local woodland ( in the city :smile: ) and that made a very interesting subject for our efforts - ! ^_^

Tenkaykev

Guru
There's a lady in Australia who could help you out on whether they are edible or poisonous. If she's not still in custody of course.

There have been several cases in the USA where people who have moved to across the country to different states have inadvertently poisoned themselves with mushrooms that look like the safe species they are familiar with in their original location being a poisonous variety.

Biker BoB

There have been several cases in the USA where people who have moved to across the country to different states have inadvertently poisoned themselves with mushrooms that look like the safe species they are familiar with in their original location being a poisonous variety.
I think the one in Australia just had enough of the people around her

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I don't normally go for a ride on Saturdays due to being too tired from work but I had a mission to complete (a gift voucher for the far superior better half of mine) out in the stick's so had a beautiful crisp ride on the Spa Audax Mono , the road's were exceptionally quiet every one must have been Christmas shopping, the same ride the day after (Sunday) would be too busy for my liking.
So I was a guy having fun on his single speed and found some real fungi , great to have some dry clear crisp weather to enjoy for a change.

Those look like trooping funnel cap Infundibulicybe Geotropa (Or Clitocybe Geotropa in older - pre 2003 - books). But I could be totally wrong as (a) I can't see the whole thing and (b) I am an idiot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infundibulicybe_geotropa

I believe they are edible but not rated as really good, so I've never tried them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
No idea about the fungi but that's one very big frame....25"?

It was the biggest frame they have in this model 60cm or 23 3/4 inch , I could have done with bigger still but it's ok .
I do have a Fuji Elegro with a 27inch frame, now that's a big bike.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
It was the biggest frame they have in this model 60cm or 23 3/4 inch , I could have done with bigger still but it's ok .
I do have a Fuji Elegro with a 27inch frame, now that's a big bike.

How tall are you? I quite fancy a single speed, that looks big enough. I'm 6'4"

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Those look like trooping funnel cap Infundibulicybe Geotropa (Or Clitocybe Geotropa in older - pre 2003 - books). But I could be totally wrong as (a) I can't see the whole thing and (b) I am an idiot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infundibulicybe_geotropa

I believe they are edible but not rated as really good, so I've never tried them.

Not a bad call at this time of year, but my shroomers' eye is screaming out Milkcaps. Fleecy, or possibly Poplar. In which case not edible. Troopers are actually very good eating, though - especially if you like soup. They have a rich, creamy texture that sort of makes cream of mushroom without the cream. Ideal for vegans. And one giant one will go a long way.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not a bad call at this time of year, but my shroomers' eye is screaming out Milkcaps. Fleecy, or possibly Poplar. In which case not edible. Troopers are actually very good eating, though - especially if you like soup. They have a rich, creamy texture that sort of makes cream of mushroom without the cream. Ideal for vegans. And one giant one will go a long way.

Looking at it again you could be right because C geotropa normally has an umbo bump in the middle of the cap and these don't appear to. I jumped to this conclusion because I've seen tons of funnel caps recently. Would be able to tell in real life

I'm not a great one for eating things that I'm not absolutely definitely sure of - and I''m very aware of my own identification limitations - so this is generally things that can't really be mistaken for anything else - like chicken of the woods, chanterelles (and black trumpets), and ceps. Clitocybes I'm too unsure of to try. There's just so many species.

Last edited:
Top Bottom