Funny one - nearly rear ended!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamG

Guru
This one cracked me up - I stopped at a zebra crossing at the top of Blackboy hill the other day to let a couple accross. The response from the lady crossing was "bloody hell!" as she looked in my direction, I replied that we aren't all that bad and then her partner pointed out that the driver behind was inches from my back wheel.

It seems that not only to people crossing in Bristol not expect you to stop (I get lots of surprised reactions), but drivers don't either. Anyone for a sweeps on when my back wheel gets tacho'd?! :rolleyes:

domtyler

Über Member
GrahamG said:
This one cracked me up - I stopped at a zebra crossing at the top of Blackboy hill the other day to let a couple accross. The response from the lady crossing was "bloody hell!" as she looked in my direction, I replied that we aren't all that bad and then her partner pointed out that the driver behind was inches from my back wheel.

It seems that not only to people crossing in Bristol not expect you to stop (I get lots of surprised reactions), but drivers don't either. Anyone for a sweeps on when my back wheel gets tacho'd?! :biggrin:

Racist! :rolleyes:

Cab

Its a safety tip worth noting when at a zebra crossing; is the car behind you going to stop? If not, or you believe they won't, then keep going and dodge the pedestrians. Less risk to all involved, especially you.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Cab said:
Its a safety tip worth noting when at a zebra crossing; is the car behind you going to stop? If not, or you believe they won't, then keep going and dodge the pedestrians. Less risk to all involved, especially you.

Keeping going and doging peds is not only bad form but could encourage the following car to go over the crossing too.

Cyclecraft says to stay in primary and give a slowing signal when stopping for peds on a crossing when possible, but to give way to a car if it seems unlikely to stop.

Nowhere is there the suggestion that a bike should keep going over a crossing in this situation.

Cab said:

I've almost been run over at a red light because the car behind was going to jump it and thought I was as well. It's not a nice sound hearing screeching tyres behind you!!!!!

tdr1nka said:
Keeping going and doging peds is not only bad form but could encourage the following car to go over the crossing too.

Cyclecraft says to stay in primary and give a slowing signal when stopping for peds on a crossing when possible, but to give way to a car if it seems unlikely to stop.

Nowhere is there the suggestion that a bike should keep going over a crossing in this situation.

I disagree with cyclecraft here! :rolleyes: Giving a slowing signal is useless. How many car drivers actually know what it means? I think carrying on through should be a last resort (I haven't had to use it yet) but I would do if I thought a following car would plow into me.

Tynan

Veteran
make it clear that you're stopping by slowing earlier, sitting up in the saddle and generally looking bored, anyone that gets too close to a zebra crossing to stop safely isn't paying proper attention I suspect

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Eat MY Dust said:
I've almost been run over at a red light because the car behind was going to jump it and thought I was as well. It's not a nice sound hearing screeching tyres behind you!!!!!

In these kinda circumstances if I have had a long view of the lights at green I will move into secondary and slow in expectation of them changing, signalling accordingly, this gives any cars that want to jump the lights or overtake all the room they need.

Tynan said:
isn't paying proper attention

That would appear to be half of the cagers in London then!

tdr1nka said:
In these kinda circumstances if I have had a long view of the lights at green I will move into secondary and slow in expectation of them changing, signalling accordingly, this gives any cars that want to jump the lights or overtake all the room they need.

The bit of road that it happened on was a right turn lane (light on red) and a green light for straight on (left hand lane). I think the driver hadn't noticed this and was taken by surprise by the stationary bike in front of him. It doesn't really change the fact that he wasn't paying attention though!!

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Ahh, the impression I got was that you were still rolling and the car made you keep going.
These kind of filter lights are a menace as most car drivers will go over the line to position themselves to turn and cannot stand a bike being ahead of them in the correct position at the lights.
There are lights like this in my area where cars will undertake me in order to pre-empt the lights.

Tynan

Veteran
Eat MY Dust said:
That would appear to be half of the cagers in London then!

certainly although most still pay attention to zebras

but those that do want to do it properly can is my point

domtyler

Über Member
Tynan said:
make it clear that you're stopping by slowing earlier, sitting up in the saddle and generally looking bored, anyone that gets too close to a zebra crossing to stop safely isn't paying proper attention I suspect

Yep, this is exactly what I do.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
domtyler said:
Yep, this is exactly what I do.

Me too - plus if you stop pedalling and start coasting whilst sitting up, they get the extra visual clue (if they're paying attention) that you're going to be slowing down.

Top Bottom