Funny things cats do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi,
After a bike ride my knees often ache like hell. To help I use a hot water bottle and place it across them to ease the aching.My cat is no spring chicken anymore and after a long day outside hunting and beating up any stay dogs he sees (he's tough guy) he comes in for the night to settle down.
Whilst I'm sitting on the sofa with a glass of wine and a good film he's made a habit of settling down on my hot water bottle.
The funny thing is this water bottle is steaming hot ,and he some how doesn't quite sit on it ,but more or less hovers over it, When it gets to much he stands up to cool off a bit before settling back down.
I've lossed count how many times he's does all this.

Last edited:

Mrs M

Guru
Hi,
After a bike ride my knees often ache like hell. To help I use a hot water bottle and place it across them to ease the aching.My cat is no spring chicken anymore and after a long day outside hunting and beating up any stay dogs he sees (he's tough guy) he comes in for the night to settle down.
Whilst I'm sitting on the sofa with a glass of wine and a good film he's made a habit of settling down on my hot water bottle.
The funny thing is this water bottle is steaming hot ,and he some how doesn't quite sit on it ,but more or less hovers over it, When it gets to much he stands up to cool off a bit before settling back down.
I've lossed count how many times he's does all this.

Sounds like he’s trying to help you. 💕
When I broke my pelvis a few years ago and was recovering from surgery our tortie girl Charlie used to snuggle into my lower back like a wee feline hot water bottle.
Whenever I got up to hobble around she was always by my side, looking up at me and making sure I was ok.
Such empathy from a wee cat.
♥️

Slick

Guru
I reckon cats just love heat.

Our wee guys sleep anywhere there is heat, and their favourite spot through the day is on their wee radiator beds and at night its between my legs. :shy:

Don't think I've slept properly for over a year now, but I do love em. :rose:

a.twiddler

Veteran
Reminds me of a tale told me by my mum. Being a forces family we moved around a lot and often would acquire a cat with the married quarter. So it was with the place we were living at when my mum became pregnant with me. Before, the cat would have nothing to do with her apart from mealtimes. When she became pregnant it was her constant companion. Hormones, pheromones. whatever the cause, wherever she was, there was the cat, often parked on her lap while there still was some room. I had the distinction of kicking the cat before I was born. The cat would look up as if as affronted, but such was the attachment that it would stay put. Whatever the cat did once she was no longer pregnant, it gave my mum a certain fondness for cats from then on.

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
When I lived in Oxford our neighbours (unbeknown to us) went on holiday, leaving their cat behind. It became a solid fixture in our garden, constantly joining me when I left the house and even going so far as to jump through the (small, top-middle) kitchen window when I was inside.

Concerned for its welfare I bought some catfood and started feeding it. We became inseperable.

When the neighbours got back I was told that one of their friends had been visiting regularly to feed it, and that it had access to the house through an open window. The next time it saw me in the street it totally blanked me. Bastard.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
A neighbour was going on holiday and asked us to feed and generally look after her cat. It adopted our house fairly quickly but when she came back the cat went "home" again but still came to visit.
The neighbour got a bit annoyed as when we were away the cat sat inside her window and as soon as our van appeared back it was out to greet us and went into our house as it seemed to prefer it to it's own quarters.

Windle

Über Member
Luke, the youngest of our three ginger toms (as previously seen in the 'post a picture of your pet' thread) is quite fond of jumping up off the sofa and landing on your shoulder, then draping himself round your neck, purring loudly ~ which is fine, if you're expecting it and not carrying anything or looking the other way :laugh:.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Simba loves heat (big fluffy white thing) and will sleep near my feet. Only thing is he stretches out and I lose the bottom half of the bed. Zoomies usually start about 9:30pm with two of the four chasing each other around the house at head height.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Luke, the youngest of our three ginger toms (as previously seen in the 'post a picture of your pet' thread) is quite fond of jumping up off the sofa and landing on your shoulder, then draping himself round your neck, purring loudly ~ which is fine, if you're expecting it and not carrying anything or looking the other way :laugh:.

We had a stunning silver tabby mainecoon who'd follow you half way down the stairs, then wait till you turned back along the hall then jump on your shoulders through the bannisters. We found it incredibly appealing and cute, but he surprised a few visitors, particularly a lady who was a bit scared of cats, and even more so cats as big as a small puma.

My ex's previous cat used to enjoy another game through the bannisters, but it was best to wear motorcycle gloves to play that

Last edited:

figbat

Slippery scientist
My ex's previous cat used to enjoy another game through the bannisters, but it was best to wear motorcycle gloves to play that

Both our previous cats used to do something similar. Also, if they were sat in front of you on the floor and you held your hand out in front of you - above the cat - and slowly lowered it towards them they would, when they felt the height was right, leap up and wrap their legs (and claws) around your arm so they were hanging underneath it like a sloth. A sloth with very active claws and teeth.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Both our previous cats used to do something similar. Also, if they were sat in front of you on the floor and you held your hand out in front of you - above the cat - and slowly lowered it towards them they would, when they felt the height was right, leap up and wrap their legs (and claws) around your arm so they were hanging underneath it like a sloth. A sloth with very active claws and teeth.

Although it started as "the bannisters game", it soon became "the motorbike glove game". I might be hanging out quietly with the cat and I just had to reach for the glove and it would be a full contact play fight. He was OK otherwise and wouldn't as a rule bite or scratch unless you got the glove, or you played with him through the bannisters. It was then understood that rough games were acceptable

Top Bottom