Funny things you remember from your childhood

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

I used to clamber about in the lower parts of trees but had enough sense not to go too high. One unfortunate local lad had more courage than sense and climbed to the very top of a huge tree and stuck his head out from the canopy of leaves. He fell right through the tree and was killed by the fall. :sad:
Our game was to climb as high as you could & try to stand with your head above all the branches & leaves, had a few slips & drops but as said was always lucky/ish

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Our game was to climb as high as you could & try to stand with your head above all the branches & leaves, had a few slips & drops but as said was always lucky/ish
Sounds like the same game.

I always had a voice in my head warning me not to take the chance!

Funny that the voice (usually) shuts up when I am descending at over 80 km/hr on my bicycle though... :whistle:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Spent a happy family holiday on a farm's caravan site- there was even a lake to paddle in my new cheap inflatable boat...

Later found out that it was Lake Trawsfynedd [possibly not the correct spelling!], which was a cooling lake used by the nuclear power station of the same name. Looking back I recall having to climb over a barbed wire stock fence to get to it...

Odd, don',t remember the name. Maybe we had knock-offs?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Hi,
I remember many moons ago when i was a kid, we used to have a really long garden. Im fact it was massive at well over 100 metres long.
It was all lawn and stepped down into three tiers. From the kitchen you had a birds eye view.
Every Sunday my dad would get out the old petrol Suffolk Punch lawnmower and start cutting the lawn. He was very meticulous about keeping the strips perfect and did a really good job of it.
That was until lunchtime. After doing half he would sneak off down the pub for a few jars and then come back later on worse for wear. He would then fire up the lawn mower and finish it off.
It was an awful sight watching him staggering around trying to control that heavy self propelled contraption with a skin full of beer.
By the time he'd finished we had a lovely stripy lawn at the top and the bottom (well I'll leave that to your imagination)
We used to be the laughing stock of neighbours around as our long garden was on show to everyone who walked by. Thinking back now it was so funny 💭😂

Good story and there's a small family-run tyre place I use where I've learned always to go in the morning. Go in the afternoon and the fitter has been to the pub and won't get the balancing right, meaning you'll be needing to go back to get it re-balanced.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Good story and there's a small family-run tyre place I use where I've learned always to go in the morning. Go in the afternoon and the fitter has been to the pub and won't get the balancing right, meaning you'll be needing to go back to get it re-balanced.
It's hard to keep your balance after a few...

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Most of my funniest memories centre around my grandparents. one time my gran thought it would be funny to throw a cup of water out the bathroom window onto our heads (me, sister and 2 cousins). She failed to realise her false teeth had stuck in the cup, and all we saw was a lower set of dentures flying out the window.

When I was about 16, I was helping my Dad and Grandad load a fallen tree into a trailer to take back to the farm. We didn't have anything to secure it with, so in his deadpan way my Grandad said to me "You sit on top of it and make a noise like a piece of rope". Me and my Dad still laugh about it today.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's hard to keep your balance after a few...
That reminds me of this...
A roofer who was going to sort out some leaky flashing on my roof arrived one Saturday afternoon after a session at the pub. He stank of booze, had bloodshot eyes and was slurring slightly. I was considering telling him that I didn't want him to do the job, when he suddenly swang himself up through my open Velux window and started walking about the roof with his hands in pockets. I kept imagining what would happen if he slipped - he certainly wouldn't be grabbing hold of the guttering as he fell past it!
:eek:

Top Bottom