"Furred up" campag ergos, how to fix?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

loz

Veteran
Hi all, I've just bought another of my ebay "bargains". I've got some second hand campg mirage ergos, guess they're about 10 years old. The only problem I can see with them -so far- is that the small metal cylinders that allow the brakes to open wider are furred up meaning they cannot be moved. It's not the end of the world, but does anyone know of a way of de-furring metal things?

cheers
loz

ASC1951

Guru
I find that most moving bits on my Ergos respond to a squirt of WD40. The exposed part of the ratchet wheel underneath the hood regularly gets clogged and has to be squirted then picked clean.

[I assume you mean 'furred' as in grubby. If they are burred, you need a nail file.]

battered

Guru
WD40 is OK for freeing stuff up but £3-4 at your local motor factors will buy you a can of penetrating oil which is vastly better. If you want a branded equivalent buy Plus Gas. I didn't believe that different penols were better or worse, just used whatever I had, which was usually WD. I then got into trying to restore an old motorbike, and WD just wasn't working. All the fasteners sheared and needed drilling. I bought some generic penetrating oil and miraculously all the fasteners started unscrewing.

Top Bottom