Further commuting weight reduction.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jagman.2003

Über Member
Just thought I'd share my long but hopefully sensible attempts at commuting weight reduction. I started commuting to my present job four years ago. My fitness was pretty good & I was using an old mountain bike. I carried all my clothes, shower gear, some food, bike tools, pump & cycling jacket. This was spread between two medium panniers on a rack. Being pretty fit at the time I didn't really notice the weight. But slowly noticed the general reduction in speed based on other commuters. Eventually I was able to get a small locker at work & stored the shower gear & brought clothes in on my off days. That left me with tools & some food. After some thought I thought I would make a significant upgrade to my bike. I went around town to all the bike shops & chose a Specialized Sirrus sport on sale. (My wife was under anesthetic at the time & completely unable to dispute my actions). This was furnished with my existing rack & panniers. A very impressive 10 minutes was reduced from my travel time. A short time later I decided to reduce the pannier size. This was to make sure it forced me to only take the items I could fit. Additionally reducing wind resistance (not scientifically tested). There was also periodic reductions by buying better lightweight tools. This worked very well until recently. Having tried to have a 'non-competitive' summer season commuting, during a commute in with some colleagues I found myself seriously beaten by my boss! I took this constructively & vowed to improve fitness. This will take place in stages over the winter to come out fighting in the spring. But there was no doubt when lifting the rear of the bike up. It still weighed alot. So returning to an earlier principal I have further reduced again the carrying capacity. Now I have removed the rack & replaced the whole lot with a single bag on the seatpost. I had before I believe 2x10 litre panniers. Now I have a single 7 litre. It's a handlebar bag on a klik fix seatpost adaptor. I will be moving the tool bag just under the adaptor. This means I will be only carrying the absolute minimum for that day. Some food may be transported, but if I get myself organised I can stash food in the fridge at work in advance. In case you were wondering I prefer not to have a back pack. I sweat enough on the hills as it is. I also don't like the weight that high on me. It took some rearranging of the lights without the rack. But I managed to locate the main rear on a rack adaptor screwed onto the bag. Photo below. I will add another of the tool bag location tomorrow. Hopefully this might help someone else with their luggage system. Also any opinions on the durability of the klik fix brackets?

BSRU

A Human Being
In the colder months I carry lots more stuff, in summer I use a road bike with a carradice saddle bag but in winter I use a CX or tourer with big panniers to carry all my stuff.
No need to worry about speed in the winter, just get out and ride as much as possible, then when spring comes shed all the extra weight from the bike:thumbsup:.

OP
OP
jagman.2003

jagman.2003

Über Member
This is the 7 litre. I have a 5 litre for summer. Might see if there is something even smaller. Good thing is if I use the kilk fix system it will be just clipping the next one on. I agree BSRU, come the real cold weather I'm back on the mountain bike & medium panniers for all those winter layer options.

WP_000614_zpsc6c0aa8e.jpg

BSRU

A Human Being
This is the 7 litre. I have a 5 litre for summer. Might see if there is something even smaller. Good thing is if I use the kilk fix system it will be just clipping the next one on. I agree BSRU, come the real cold weather I'm back on the mountain bike & medium panniers for all those winter layer options.

WP_000614_zpsc6c0aa8e.jpg

Strange as my Carradice Nelson is 15Litres and looks smaller.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I carry a 15ltr or a 20ltr rucksack with shirt/pants/tie (suits are at work), 2xA5 notebooks and lightweight pump/tube. That's it.

And today I removed several bits of paper from the diary A5 notebook which should save .... ooh ... 50g.

I commute lightweight. No pannier = less intention to carry stuff. Also as I vary across several bikes on the commute (main roadie / commuter roadie / wet weather roadie / MTB / junk 'bad weather' MTB) swapping would be hassle.

400bhp

Guru
Everything bar socks and duds transported in by rucksack once a week.

2l gets me a pair of socks, duds, wallet, phone, multi tool, tyre levers and works pass. Spare inner goes in jersey pocket.:thumbsup:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Not quite sure of this fixation that many commuters have with lightness or speed.

I'm 18 stone, ride flat bar bikes for my 28 mile round trip and carry two front panniers on the rear rack. Bikes have full mudguards with flaps. Two lights front and two rear. Wide puncture resistant tyres.

Commuting is about getting to my destination comfortably and on time.

jessculter

Every time I try and carry a heavyish rucksack my lower back is killing me by the time I get to my destination.

I would obviously prefer to carry nothing but my 15 stone ass but it's not possible.

I'm thinking about panniers.

Kies

Every time I try and carry a heavyish rucksack my lower back is killing me by the time I get to my destination.

I would obviously prefer to carry nothing but my 15 stone ass but it's not possible.

I'm thinking about panniers.

Do it!!!
Panniers are the best thing for comfortable commuting

Kies

Not quite sure of this fixation that many commuters have with lightness or speed.

I'm 18 stone, ride flat bar bikes for my 28 mile round trip and carry two front panniers on the rear rack. Bikes have full mudguards with flaps. Two lights front and two rear. Wide puncture resistant tyres.

Commuting is about getting to my destination comfortably and on time.

Crankarm

Guru
Prior to my recent hit and run I was riding with a pair of large Vaude Aqua rear panniers. The contents of the right rear I haven't established for months. I am sure there must be a mouldy sarnie or banana in there some where mixing with the over shoes, several spare tubes and cargo nets. The other pannier is clothes. Anyway I thought about the residual weight problem as my commuting bike sans panniers is quite light. Anyway I came to conclusion I couldn't ride the distance I do without the reassurance of lugging all this stuff around so instead I got a cycling computer with cadence function a Sigma Rox 9.0 which also does lots of other stuff but cadence is what I now ride to and it has greatly improved my speed, endurance and power. I can ride pretty much as fast as on my road bike albeit with slightly more effort which means it's good training for when I do get out my road bike as I can then ride pretty hard on it and easily drop weekend wannabes and fair weather mamils ;).

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I used to commute with a single 15 litre pannier but gave up on it 3 years ago. The pannier had a terrible habit of collecting useless "stuff" that never got used at either end of the trip. Handbag junk really.

I now use a £9 Lidl backpack that is not particularly waterproof, and I carefully consider my cargo, not least for its resistance to moisture. It concentrates my packing.

Top Bottom