Future plans to be car-free..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you want to go car free then get a childs trailer to put your shopping in.

1:- If car drivers think there's a child in the trailer, they're going to give you more room. A big doll works wonders .......... :laugh:
2:- It has nice hard edges that car drivers can see, car drivers give you more room so they don't damage their cars ..... ^_^
3:- It's wider than a bike, so forcing cars further out. The further out you can force them the better the overtake. If you want even more room than a trike-trailer combo works even better. Best combo is a bent trike-trailer ........ :tongue:

Downside is your wider so cyclepaths can be more "FUN" ...... :sad:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Downside is your wider so cyclepaths can be more "FUN" ...... :sad:
There's also a bit of a push-pull effect as you go over any ups and downs which can take some getting used to... but yes, trailers can be very useful things!

I wish you luck, personally I enjoy being a car owner and seldom give a thought to the cost.

I used to love motoring myself. Used to do regular road trips. However I have been put off it in the last couple of years tho. Average speed cameras are my main gripe, but congestions is also a huge problem for me. I wouldn't mind forking out hundreds every year so much if I could actually ride my motorcycle at a decent speed. As it is I am just paying to be stuck in traffic (I do filter where reasonable), or to match my speed with the very landmass I am driving along. I find motoring very frustrating these days.

Just wondering if I am one of a few getting fed up or if its a more common thing.

OP
OP
SAB

SAB

I've taken another look at my route. This is the stretch of main road. The rest is all safe, separate cycle lane.

For 9 minutes - and Google Maps is scarily accurate in timing I find - perhaps it's much less risk than many of you guys who do mile upon mile of shared with car riding. Especially if I can make myself visible, stick to the side of the road, and generally try to not piss off other drivers. Regardless of whether it's my right or not..

Without sounding like a careless idiot, do you guys think I should go for it? Everything has a certain level of risk and now that I've looked at it from a different perspective maybe this small segment of my journey is worth the risk.

So far on going car free I think when - not if - the day comes the car breaks down / packs up / is crashed etc and won't be repairable anymore rather than a) waste my savings on another used/old car, b) get into finance for a newer car or c) pay for bus and taxi tickets I think hopping on the bike with the right gear and mindset might help me out.

I think it'll take a serious 'lack of car' to force me out of the comfort and convenience it offers. I'm even planning on specifically getting out there in November / December to prove to myself that I can do it in the worst conditions. Then, summer will be a breeze. If I can do it in Winter I've shown myself a new £500 ish investment on a nice light bike will not be a waste come Winter 2018+

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    88.2 KB · Views: 48

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Part of my commute is along a road that was termed "Britain's deadliest road" by the Times.

Honestly, I have far fewer close passes and idiotic riding there then I do in the city (not least because of fewer junctions). But you need to be confident enough to take a strong secondary and primary where needed, because people will try to squeeze past you otherwise.

HGV drivers I tend to find are actually very considerate and 99% will wait patiently for a place with enough room to pass.

Otherwise as @Tigerbiten says get a child's trailer, everyone is super-considerate with one of those in tow - which is good because I tend to go a bit mad if someone takes the mick with mini-KB behind.

classic33

Leg End Member
I use to cycle 250 miles a weekend(spilt shifts over a four day weekend). With all but 23/4 miles at the home end being on "A" roads, with the first-last mile being the worst in my opinion, due to part of it being a Satnav Ratrun. Done the same roads on two, three and four wheels.

If you find that any part of your route isn't safe, in your opinion, it can lead to the whole route being felt as unsafe. I've used very little cycle specific clothing, the one exception being two pairs of off-road shoes(bought them, I wasn't going to waste them).

Don't stick to the side of the road, thinking you'll be safer. You're in the worst part of the road. Everything ends up here, which can make it worse for you. I've done the N7(Dublin to Birdhill) both ways, with the worst part being on the outskirts of Dublin.

On four wheels, there's no chance of using the pavements. This means that anything behind me has to treat me as traffic. Which is what we are. I'll get out of the way if I'm able, but seldom let them bully me off the roads. There was one major accident/incident which could have happened to anyone. A driver under the influence.

Remember, the worst weather doesn't always occur in the winter months.

alicat

Legendary Member
Do they have cycle training where you live? A session could help you work out if the road really is too dangerous or if adjusting your cycling could make the traffic behave differently. Whatever the answer, the session will stand you in good stead for the future.

Top Bottom