Galaxy restoration - suggestions please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
I picked this up on ebay, it's currently hiding it at my Mums house as I got it for my OH for his birthday in a couple of weeks. I tried to explain to her that its a highly sought after vintage bike - she says it looks like a pile of scrap!

Its a large, I'm hoping it'll fit him, otherwise I'll just sell it as it, but if it fits I'd like to spruce it up a bit!

I've never restored a bike, so I'm looking for suggestions of where to start. It seems to be in working order, tyres look ok, but they're old so they'll probably be the first thing I replace.
I'd like to have the frame sprayed in a similar colour and fit a rack if it's possible.

Galaxy.jpg

Any idea's?

sidevalve

Über Member
Depends on how far you want to go. The obvious first I suppose would be Strip it, get the frame sprayed/coated refit original type decals/stickers [on E bay], and don't forget the reynolds 531 tube sticker.
A rack should fit straight on as these were designed as a touring bike. After that it's really the usual clean regrease all bearings and re-adjust. Strip, clean, lube the brakes, they look like centre pulls, and when in good order are very effective. Either renew the cables or strip out and grease the inners and replace. Throw away the brake blocks and renew [you never know where they've been or been contaminated with]. Sprockets may just need a clean but I'd change the chain anyway. If you decide to upgrade the gearing to something more modern that's up to you.
Thes bikes were designed to be owner fixable and to last and there are no real problem areas.
I have rebuilt my Dawes and love it to bits. If it fits, once sorted, you will have a truly excellent machine.
Good luck.

raindog

er.....
He must be a big lad. I'm six foot and I think I'd need to stand on a milk crate to get on that. ^_^

The frame looks pretty good in that photo, can't you get away with just a good clean and polish? That saddle looks as if it could do alot of damage - maybe a Brooks would look nice instead?Change the bar tape, polish the aluminium, make the mudguards fit properly - that back one doesn't look right at all - and bob's yer uncle I reckon.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
I'm with Raindog: it looks to be in good shape and there is something to be said for the patina of age.

As a matter of course, for the sake of safety, I would replace the tyres & tubes, chain, cables (both inner and outer) and brake blocks. I'd also consider replacing the wheels if the rims are steel, ideally re-building them using those hubs.

For improved comfort, I would fit padded bar tape and replace the saddle (a Brooks is the obvious choice or Spa do cheaper imitations). The pedals could be replaced with something compatible with what he currently uses and new brake hoods would freshen things up.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Thanks Guys, I'm a bit concerned about the size, spending slot of time staring at his crotch at the minute wondering if it's the right height for the bike! I think he thinks I'm lusting after him!

I guess I could try cleaning the frame up a bit before committing to a paint job.

In any case, first priority is to get it in safe running order (though it seems to be already to be honest) and then think about getting it looking pretty. A brooks saddle is exactly what I was thinking!

Any ideas about what tyres to put on it?

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
No specific tyre recommendations, but Ribble seem to have some good deals at the moment.

It's just a thought, but most men love to tinker: you might consider buying the new parts, but letting him put them on...

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
No specific tyre recommendations, but Ribble seem to have some good deals at the moment.

It's just a thought, but most men love to tinker: you might consider buying the new parts, but letting him put them on...
I think I'll get into slot of trouble if I buy him a bike And suggests he starts tinkering! I'm doing a bike maintenance course soonish, I was thinking of taking this as the guinea pig bike.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thanks Guys, I'm a bit concerned about the size, spending slot of time staring at his crotch at the minute wondering if it's the right height for the bike! I think he thinks I'm lusting after him!

I guess I could try cleaning the frame up a bit before committing to a paint job.

In any case, first priority is to get it in safe running order (though it seems to be already to be honest) and then think about getting it looking pretty. A brooks saddle is exactly what I was thinking!

Any ideas about what tyres to put on it?
i am glad you said that and not anybody else

looks nice as is , just give it a good clean

asterix

Comrade Member

^_^

You could always check out what leg length in trousers he takes!

That bike looks like a 25 inch which is a size that fits me. I'm a 33 trouser length.

It also looks a very nice vintage bike, about late 80's, I'd guess.

Your not reading Fifty Shades are you? ^_^

I hope this does work out, but if it is a 25' frame and it's too big give me a shout. Depending where you are and what you want for it I might be interested :thumbsup:

^_^That bike looks like a 25 inch which is a size that fits me. I'm a 33 trouser length.
FWIW I have a 36' inside leg, and I've restored 25' bikes in the past for myself. Don't forget you can also alter the fit with a shorter/longer stem as well if need be.

asterix

Comrade Member
FWIW I have a 36' inside leg, and I've restored 25' bikes in the past for myself. Don't forget you can also alter the fit with a shorter/longer stem as well if need be.

Yes but is that your trouser length? That's the point! Not the same thing in my case..

This frame is 25"/62cm:
SDC10892.jpg

It's much the same date as the OP's machine but done up (it's had a new chainset since).

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
^_^

You could always check out what leg length in trousers he takes!

That bike looks like a 25 inch which is a size that fits me. I'm a 33 trouser length.

It also looks a very nice vintage bike, about late 80's, I'd guess.

Yes but is that your trouser length? That's the point! Not the same thing in my case..

This frame is 25"/62cm:
SDC10892.jpg

It's much the same date as the OP's machine but done up (it's had a new chainset since).
Thanks Guys - trouser length - he tends to go for a 34".

It was advertised as 25.5", it does look massive! Only a few days to go til his birthday, so we'll soon see!

Asterix, that bike looks very similar - it's beautiful!

Top Bottom