Gaming Monitors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Hi all, need some advice please. My son currently has a very old 22inch TV that he plays PS4 on. He sits fairly close (~1.5m away).

For his birthday he wants nothing else apart from a gaming monitor, as I've re-done his room and he'll shortly be sitting 3m away from it.

I can only really afford a 27 inch monitor, and I have to attach it to the wall.

My questions are: Will a gaming monitor be any better than, say, a 27 inch TV?
Many are designed for desktop use; is there an easy way to mount them to a wall?
What spec should I be looking for (considering it's soley for PS4)? Don't want to spend extra for something that the PS4 can't output.

TIA

midlife

Guru
The PS4 does best video 1080p, 27 "video monitors that do this are about £150 at a guess, is that your price range?

newts

Veteran
Most monitors & tv's have 'vesa' mount capability, usually 4 holes at 100mm centres. This is compatible with most wall brackets & pivot arms

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'm not sure wall mount, unless it one of the fancy pull around and move mounts is ideal if its doubling as a PC monitor (for homework etc) as well and Gaming Monitor as well as part time TV. You arguably need the monitor nearer to the chair / keyboard than the wall.

Given you can watch all the main channels and more on iplayer etc Apps, then a PC or PS4 hooked up to a monitor surpasses the need to actually have a TV / built Freeview etc anyway.

I would look at 27" curved gaming monitors, it will keep the lad happy and be flexible for use with PC etc if needed. No need to pay extra for "TV" functionality.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My daughter has a wall mount 27" monitor for her PS4, son has similar, but on his desk.

Any monitor with a relatively quick (low ms (mili second) number) will be fine - in fact any monitor these days will be great for 1080p.

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Most monitors & tv's have 'vesa' mount capability, usually 4 holes at 100mm centres. This is compatible with most wall brackets & pivot arms
Yeah that's what I thought, but many of them seem to be mounted on a stand for desktop use and it doesn't look like they have VESA mount. Maybe I'm not looking at the right ones

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I'm not sure wall mount, unless it one of the fancy pull around and move mounts is ideal if its doubling as a PC monitor (for homework etc) as well and Gaming Monitor as well as part time TV. You arguably need the monitor nearer to the chair / keyboard than the wall.

Given you can watch all the main channels and more on iplayer etc Apps, then a PC or PS4 hooked up to a monitor surpasses the need to actually have a TV / built Freeview etc anyway.

I would look at 27" curved gaming monitors, it will keep the lad happy and be flexible for use with PC etc if needed. No need to pay extra for "TV" functionality.
yes good point thanks, PS4 will be the only source and he doesn't need "TV", but he also doesn't need it for PC either. He's going ot be sitting on his bed against one wall, and the monitor has to be on the opposite wall due to the space. He doesn't want a long reach wall bracket so it will be just on the wall

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Any monitor with a relatively quick (low ms (mili second) number) will be fine
ok, some are 4ms and some dearer ones are 1ms. I think 4ms should be enough right?

si_c

Guru
No point getting a fast gaming monitor for a PS4 - it's limited to 60hz so a fast gaming monitor is a waste, it won't perform any better. I'd say a Smart TV would be a better shout - you'll get a larger 1080p screen with Full HDR for about £200, plus it's a TV. A gaming monitor is aiming for faster refresh rates and higher resolutions, neither of which make any difference with a PS4.

Might be worth a conversation at least.

Edit to add, an Xbox Series S is only £50 more, personally I'd get that and upgrade the monitor later.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
... No need to pay extra for "TV" functionality.
It's been a while since I've looked but IME, you get a lot more TV for £200 than you will a monitor... you pay extra for no tv functionality.

just looking at Argos... largest pc monitors under £200 are 27", TVs under £200 are mostly 32", with one 40"

Last edited:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Hi all, need some advice please. My son currently has a very old 22inch TV that he plays PS4 on. He sits fairly close (~1.5m away).

For his birthday he wants nothing else apart from a gaming monitor, as I've re-done his room and he'll shortly be sitting 3m away from it.

I can only really afford a 27 inch monitor, and I have to attach it to the wall.

My questions are: Will a gaming monitor be any better than, say, a 27 inch TV?
Many are designed for desktop use; is there an easy way to mount them to a wall?
What spec should I be looking for (considering it's soley for PS4)? Don't want to spend extra for something that the PS4 can't output.

TIA
You get more for your money with a TV, inc built in freeview decoder etc. Check the spec sheet for any you're looking it, it should tell you the VESA hole spacing for the wall mount (which should also cover many different spacings)

Top Bottom