Garage lighting with no mains power

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
A combination of low-power LEDs to give a moderately dim ambient light and a bright head-torch to light what you're actually working on?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A set of T6 LED bike lights of course..... ^_^

Globalti

Legendary Member
I can't believe this discussion has dragged on this long. You can do it with a pv panel, a car battery and a few LEDs. PM me if you'd like the email address of my pal who lights his holiday cottage in the same way.

KEEF

Veteran
Wait tiill the peeps in the flat above your garage are on holiday, break in connect cable to elec meter drill hole in floor to garage Pass cable through and you have free power

On one of my sheds, I use 3 X Mr Beams C cell battery powered motion detector LEDs, one on each side, and on the back above the door. They are robust, weatherproof, work reliably in all weathers and a set of 3 Cell batteries in each light unit lasts about 1 year, with me tripping each of the lights at least once per day and often more. The projected light is bright enough to lock and unlock doors and bikes,and to check generally check security etc. To work under for any decent amount of time such as routine bicycle maintenance and repairs will require another more suitable work light, but there are many different rechargeable LEDs on the market.

Mr Beams LED lights are available from Amazon and ebay etc.

speccy1

This might sound nuts, but are there any lamp posts nearby??:eek:

My last house had a garage in a block with no power, all but one.................

I asked the bloke how it was done and he told me - tapped into the lamp post!! My reaction was to laugh in his face, but it can legally be done providing it`s done correctly by the pros and a meter is fitted so they know what you have used.

Just an idea..........................

Profpointy

Legendary Member
tilley lamp (paraffin) or the coleman equivalent (petrol), or a camping gaz gaslight.
All are pretty bright - especially if you contrive a reflector of some sort. I've seen paraffin spotlights - vintage / collectable - but would be perfect
Obviously some sort of petzl type headlight if just popping in, but the above if you're doing some proper work

byegad

Legendary Member
Glow Pixies. You need to be in the woods on the first of May with Oophal dust to sprinkle in a glade. The little beggars will eat the dust and go to sleep. Then all you need is a cage to stop them flying away.

Either that or some sort of portable and rechargeable (at home) system using LEDs. But that's boring.

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
Thanks for your help and suggestions on this. I've bought a house with a garage that has power:okay: Bonus is that the property sits on top of the garage too.

However, someone pretty close to me has bought the other house. I spoke to an electrician who suggested (for lights and the odd thing that runs off electric) to use a 2kw inverter with a 135amp camping battery and rig up some phosphorous lights. Every now and then drag the battery into the house to charge Sounds fine for what it will be used for.

gbb

Legendary Member
I see you have a solution, but was going to suggest twinspot LED lighting luminaires. You can buy them for circa £60 or £70, keep on charge when not in use and as soon as you unplug them, they light up, very bright too. Usually 3 hours runtime, but I suspect if you fitted slightly larger ahr batteries, you'd get more time.
Academic now i know...

Top Bottom